1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Unstable sheep
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Rabbits losing weight?

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Rabbits' started by AClark, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Mar 29, 2017
    AClark

AClark Loving the herd life

I'm not sure what happened here, but 4 of my rabbits have lost a lot of weight. The 3 does that were bred are in good weight, if not a little fat (and probably why they aren't conceiving) but the other 4 (1 buck and 3 young does) are scrawny. They are being fed the same as ever, they look healthy, clear eyes and noses, their fur is slick and shiny, but when you feel them they are bony!

Any ideas? Maybe need deworming?

2. Mar 29, 2017
    animalmom

animalmom True BYH Addict

No clue, but will be watching to see what others say.

3. Mar 29, 2017
    Marie28

Marie28 Ridin' The Range

I would definitely deworm. Also how much are you feeding them? Are they drinking normally? Have you weighed them to see how much they actually lost?

promiseacres likes this.
  4. Mar 29, 2017
    AClark

AClark Loving the herd life

I free feed pellets and hay. I didn't weigh them, I just go on feel and know feeling prominent bones isn't right. They seem perfectly fine, they're spunky and energetic, clear eyes and noses. I'll deworm them when I feed tonight. Other than parasites I can't think of any reason they'd drop weight.

5. Mar 29, 2017
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

Check the manure for worm eggs or worms themselves. Generally, rabbits with parasites look sick and act sick. Also check your rabbitry for mice, chipmunks, etc. They could be eating the rabbits food.
    Free feeding is why your does are fat. Rabbits do not usually know when to stop eating. In some cases, they become very obese. Can you post a picture of your rabbits?

promiseacres and Marie28 like this.
  6. Mar 29, 2017
    Marie28

Marie28 Ridin' The Range

Our doe is a pig and if we let her she would eat 2 cups of pellets our bucks on the other hand dont eat more than 3/4 a cup (we give them 1 cup a day because they are still growing).

Pictures would be helpful. You should to be able to easily feel the spine, ribs and back leg bones on a rabbit with healthy weight.
    http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp

DutchBunny03 likes this.