Rabbits might have Bordetella, safe to eat?

genevieve

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Meat rabbits are pretty new to me. I bought my first does about four months ago, and I bred them, they kindled and raised their babies. Last week, I noticed that one of the rabbits was acting very weird. It would hold its head perpendicular to its spine and have lots of difficulty breathing. It was pretty obvious there was nothing I could do for it at that point (I checked it's tongue and mouth and it was oxygen deprived), so I took it to the university near me to have it tested. They euthanised it and tested it and the results said that it had a very minor case of bordetella and a severe case of pneumonia, which could have been prevented had it not gotten bordetella.

Now, the other rabbits in its litter have all been living together (I have a 5'x10'x1.5' cage divided into four sections that they are in), and they are all sneezing. Their nose/mouth/eyes aren't weepy and there hasn't been any lack of appetite or other signs of illness, so I think it's safe to assume that they have bordetella as well, since there aren't many warning signs and they all shared the same cage, waterer, and feeder with the sick rabbit.

What I want to know is, what is safe to consume? I'd really like to clean all of the usable internal organs for my dogs and keep the meat for my family, but I don't want to get anyone/thing sick.