rabbits not breeding

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have been breeding rabbits for many years and recently (past year or so) my rabbits have gradually slowed down delivering babies. They gave gotten so slow that they are practically having none at all now. I know this is not a good time of year to be breeding without artifical lighting but it has not been a problem in the past. I have about 50 does of different breeds in wire cages suspended from chains hooked to the ceiling. They get water from a semi-automatic watering system with a nipple going to each cage. They are in a three-sided lean-to type addition attached to my barn facing north. I put tarps around the three open sides to keep the cold winter wind off of them. I have switched feed to everything available in the area-Purina, nutreena, blue seal, big red, and in a pinch food lion brand. Recently a Tractor Supply opened and I am planning on trying there brand of feed but I don't think it is the feed. I bred them for 4-5 years with this set up with no problem. I normally bring new bucks in for fresh blood so they don't get inbred. Is there any disease I might have brought in that I am not aware of? What might be signs of disease I should look for? Litter size has shrunk from 6-8 to 1-2. Everyone looks healthy (except for some ear mites I saw today). Any suggestions are appreciated. I almost forgot to add that some of my does lose hair on their face on occasion. It clears up without treatment. And it is only my does, never the bucks or babies when I was getting them. And only the face around the eyes down to the nose, never anywhere else on the body. Any ideas what is going on there?

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How old are your does? How many litters have they had?

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very few of my does are over 3 years old. Most of them are between 1-2 years old. I am always raising replacement does. If an experienced doe has babies on the wire she goes in the pot. If they are bred 3 times in a row and miss its into the pot. And with dieing giving birth or just unexpected death I always need replacements. Come to think of it I did just have 2 does die with no signs of illness. Not even pregnant either. 2 Rex does. hmmm......+

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
are the does overly fat? that will cut down on the breeding