Rabbits with diarreha.(cross posted from BYC)

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I recently bought some new hay for my pregnant goat its 90% alfalfa and 10% timothy. I have heard that alfalfa is good for rabbits under 6 months of age and lactating females but not for non breeding adults. So The day before yesterday I gave all the young kits(ranging in age from 6weeks to 4 months in age) a small amount of alfalfa along with their timothy...no problems. Yesterday again I gave them a small amount of the alfalfa along with their timothy.

This morning I noted 3 of the 5 had diarrhea including some stuck to their fur around their genitals.

Do you think the change in hay caused this problem?

I removed their alfalfa and just gave them their timothy, I am wondering if i should also remove their pellets for the day.

Also I thought it was a little weird that the 3 affected buns were all lionheads(different ages unrelated) the two that were also eating the hay are not lionheads. I wonder if the lionheads have a more delicate digestive tract

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690e/t1690e07.htm#chapter 5 pathology

excerpt: Feeding is unquestionably a prime factor in the occurrence of diarrhoea. Not enough crude fibre, too much protein and meal which has been too finely ground are all unfavourable. Also to be remembered is the fact that the rabbit regulates its intake according to the energy in the feed. Too much energy in the feed can lower the intake too far and vice versa. These are all factors which can favour the onset of intestinal problems. Feed changes are all too often blamed for diarrhoea. Even when feed is the obvious cause, more often the problem is the composition of the feed rather than the change itself. On the other hand, when the animals do not always have good feed available, at least the daily timetable of feeding should be respected. There have been many instances of diarrhoea "epidemics" in rabbitries where a change in timetable was the suspected culprit. This is easily explained by the rabbit's complex intestinal physiology (caecotrophy).

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It quite possibly could be the hay. I just feed mine grass hay--the same as my horses. I heard high alfalfa content is too rich for bunns. Make sure they are staying hydrated, rabbits can expire very quickly b/c of diarhea. Good luck and keep us posted.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm hoping and assuming its the hay. At least one of the bunnies already has formed stools again. Its just EVERYTHING I've read states that young rabbits and lactating does can and should be eating alfalfa. Oh well, I'll go by what people with experience do and stick to the grass hay!

Besides alfalfa is more expensive and I'm surprised how much hay the rabbits go through!

Latest posts