Rabbits with other species?

Ellie May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a mini-farm, and was thinking of adding a couple of rescue rabbits to my goat and pig area. The Humane Society wouldn't adopt to me because they said that rabbits get Giardia from mingling with other species? Is this really a problem? I do have another pen I could put them in if need be...obviously if they didn't get along with the goat and pig I would seperate them.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rescues are going to say many things, not sure it's always in the best interest of the animal. Haven't ever seen giardia in rabbits but have seen it in cats and dogs. Not a good thing, I assume if a rabbit got it they'd not survive.
My bigger worry is if the larger animals being aggressive towards the rabbits. Pigs are omnivores and can be aggressive, am guessing you have "pet" pigs? Not sure that would matter but rabbits generally do best isolated from other animals and many times without company at all. They lean towards being territorial. Feeding definitely could be a problem also, as they all need different levels of nutrients. One more thing is a pen suited to a pig or goat probably isn't as well suited to a rabbit, they do dig and can do it quick or squeeze through fence wire.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just tried that experiment with two of our FG rabbits, I let them loose with the goats for several days, while the two species got along ok, the rabbits were terrible diggers and were working in a corner of the back to get under the fence.. They are now safely living back in their hutches...dreaming of their days of freedom .
Feeding was a pain and parasites would of become a issue if left out long term....

Ellie May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
[
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that. My pet pig, goat tortoise etc all cohabit with never any aggression towards each other, would obviously watch for that, and they would all eat bermuda hay and grass. Are rabbit pellets an absolute necessity? I think my bigger concern would be digging. Are they all prone to digging? If I have to keep them in a hutch, not interested....

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that. My pet pig, goat tortoise etc all cohabit with never any aggression towards each other, would obviously watch for that, and they would all eat bermuda hay and grass. Are rabbit pellets an absolute necessity? I think my bigger concern would be digging. Are they all prone to digging? If I have to keep them in a hutch, not interested....
[/QUOTE]
All rabbits will dig and chew, the bigger the rabbit the more damage it can create in a shorter amount of time if left to roam freely......:idunno

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rabbits can be kept in a colony, but not usually with other animals. Colony rabbit breeding and keeping needs specialized preparation. You have to prepare their colony in a way to prevent them from being able to dig out. They can get coccidiosis from other species and would be on the ground among fecies from other species. We always kept our rabbits in hanging cages so the manure could drop through the wire bottoms into worm pits. Great fertilizer for the garden. Easier to breed and check on kits too, instead of having to retrieve litters from holes in the ground.

There should be articles on the internet about colony breeding. I don't like the concept because I like to be able to handle my rabbits and make sure they are eating and drinking properly. Some people ile t because they think it is a more natural way to keep rabbits. Look on line.

CrazyAboutAnimals

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old, but i would try keeping the together. My rabbits get along fine with my chickens and cats. And I don't know if pellets are absolutely necessary, I've always given them to them, I guess it depend's if they have a wide range they can explore, with grass, trees etc. Good luck!!!