rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Queen Bailey is enjoying her freedom by sleeping in the hayloft today. Badger can't (or doesn't want to try to) climb stairs so he's spending the day whining and crying and barking at the foot of the stairs. Tonight might be interesting. Bailey turns on then.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Talked to my horse neighbor. She says we absolutely have cougars. The week we moved in she wanted to warn me that they had one hanging out in their front yard, but she didn't have my number. Big guarding dogs and a fence were a good choice.

(and now I have 40 cattle panels to enlarge goat fields with)

Other tree guy that lives down the street came out. He says minimum would be $500 because it is a big, bad, risky tree. Yep, bad for you and me both. He'll email the official estimate to me tonight. That's a lot of hay money. He also has a Tyngsborough hay contact he says I should check out because it's $5-6/bale and his friend still has some for sale.

Darn tree. Maybe we'll clear our land someday and plant trees that won't grow up to be big and bad (I do have a couple hundred paw paw seeds in the fridge and I'm starting some hardy types of fig cuttings, and we have a family want list of fruit and nut trees to slowly obtain and find places for). No goats in the fruit trees though, thank you very much.

Fantasy though at this point. $500 is a lot

Moon Mist Log Purple Summer was bred to Rustic Wood's Black Tie Affair. That's the second adult lamancha doe. Now I'll just keep waiting on little Lacey (epimetheus lace) to grow. Not sure if she'll make this breeding season. She weight tapes out at 80+ lbs(pulled tight against her fluff) but she seems so small! With fluff not squished the tape says 95, but I doubt that. Plus, I don't think she's even cycled yet.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Too bad it's so far away...… our friend comes over and cuts our dead trees. Over the fence? Just cut the darn thing above the fence and let it drop. No taking down the fence, what's wrong with those people? And you can't be "smarter" than they are, it rube them the wrong way that you are even there, breathing, much less telling the genius how to cut the tree. :smackOn bad leaning trees he ties a long rope up high on the tree, then we go around a tree in the direction we want it to go, then to the tractor bucket so we can back the tractor, keeping the rope tight and the tree falls where we want it. Simple, huh? :lol:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Simple if you aren't going to take out your brand new fence in the process! I guess the question is: how much would it cost to drop the fence, cut the tree, put the fence back up? If less than $500, that is the way to go. Fences can be spliced, just a shame to do it when the fence is a week old.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cue Lacy going into heat. Mark it on the calendar, I've got a buck planned for her when she's big enough, but until then, NO BUCKS FOR YOU, LITTLE DOE. Good to know she's working.

On a side note, I put my least favorite Rosasharn buck up on CL for $500 earlier hoping to downsize just a little (bought him as a teen for $800). Someone replied to my email that "he could come and live here with me" because she couldn't afford to go to Rosasharn farm and get a buck herself and all I would get were replies from meat buyers and all I'd have to do is drop him off (two hours away) and no one pays attention to pedigrees and papers and lines and they know because they sell goats...Nope. The same lady also links to her goats for sale on all my FB advertisements in the comments. She breeds goats all year round in large quantities for color and flashiness and blue eyes as pets with pedigrees. I thought she'd go away if I ignored here, but it looks like I've got a live one here. (I may have to report her at some point on FB too, next time she piggy backs her ads on my posts, that should be fun)

I will either sit on my buck until he sells or eat him myself (?intact and in rut?), thank you very much, and not play into this rude lady's twisted goat mill game and let her have a free buck obviously. And if it will repel emails like that, I'll put his price back up to his buckling purchase price, thank you very much. No free goats. Infact, if you don't like to be annoyed, no "cheap" quality goats. Dang, I thought $500 was expensive enough to avoid that. That just blows my mind. Someone still had the gall to ask for free. Price going back up, I guess, and maybe avoid this clown. Apparently Anne Peterson has the right idea with her prices.

Who would ask for an expensive buck for free?

Rant concluded. So I guess I'm selling him for back up at $800.