rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I didn't sell Lace (lamancha) last year. Last night she struck out. She is out of one of the nicer bucks in the east with a nicer doe as her dam, but he was dam raised and has a bad attitude...makes me think I need to crack down on Summer's girl's aloofness...anyway, Lace challenges me and the routine every few weeks or so. She's head butted other goats into my knees. She rubs stain off the barn with her scur, and when she did get herself into trouble she couldn't get out of she miscarried (and was rebred and is due May 29th). And she spent a lot of last year waiting for her opportunity to kick me in the face while milking. I got good at keeping my face back rather than she letting it go.

So last night she decided she was going to smash past me as I brought out one of the pregnant does for feeding. My hand was wrapped around the door and when she smashed by she bodily smashed the door open against the stud, crushing my fingers between the door and the stud, trapping me so I couldn't get out and it hurt BAD. So after a few minutes of desperately trying to make it stop I called my husband and by some miracle the phone worked. So he rushed out barefoot, climbed in the barn window (I lock myself in while milking because Bailey and kids can open the door) and eventually we figured out to pry the stud away from the door and I got my hand back. I'm still a little numb. And Lace is listed as a registered, disease tested, pregnant, long as a freight train and rapidly deepening, perfect footed doe from some of the best lines in the country for $200 because I want her GONE :somad

She will pay for a third of her replacement that I'm trying to bring in from the herd at our disbudding place.

Lovely. No more high headed does.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your hand and glad your cell phone worked to call your husband for help. You have finally had enough. I don't blame you one bit. My animals are for my enjoyment, if they act out, being mean, they go.

Lace had the breeding that should have made her the perfect doe. I wonder how many goats in her bloodlines had ugly attitudes like her? Just goes to show you that when breeding animals for betterment of the breed, you have to pay attention to ALL aspects and that includes personality and attitude. What good is it to have a perfect animal if she wants to kill you?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you end up keeping her until she kids, would she teach the kids her bad habits? Or is there a possibility they might turn out decent?
Her wether last year became very friendly but I do not want to put up with her that long if I have the choice. If she kidded here I'd pull the kids and bottle feed.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found a pet transporter with a lot of different people, breeders included, saying they were great over various groups on fb and asked if they could bring him up on their next route. Turns out they were on route to FL then coming up through the east already so he somehow wound up here within two weeks(maybe one, would need to check) of me asking for info. It wasn't cheap, but I don't intend to do it again any time soon.
My husband considered flying down one weekend (driving isn't great on the car)but I think the price would have been similar in the end, except he would have had to rent an unfamiliar car and drive alone. Plus were not vaccinated yet and cases are a-rising.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ugh. I'm pretty sure the state animal of Massachusetts is a tick (on it's mothership, an oversized coyote). Nice yard season over. Went on a walk around the yard for 5 minutes and got covered in ticks again. Where's MY soresto collar?

I didn't notice it right away and almost got ticks on the baby. That makes me :somad