rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, actually Bruce, the not too bright part of them has been the only reason we haven't gotten guineas here. I don't want to feed the wildlife. Also, they need to come home and all. Dumb things tend not to do that.

It's a lovely day. Everyone's very happy. Too bad we can't take Moses to the park yet. Then we'd all go. I guess we'll just take the kids. I've got to be quick here.

We met with the fence people and the structural engineer about the property and the barn. The barn is a wash. His passion is old outbuildings. He wishes we would restore it, but it's not structurally sound and is going to collapse, probably in the next winter or two. And he told us what it would probably cost to make it safe again. And while it's what he wishes he could see, off the record he says it would be more expensive by a long shot to fix up the barn than to build another one...or two...or potentially three new buildings. It needs a lot of deep work. The second floor probably is what did the building in, he thinks.

So bummer, but the way the finances will work out we get to pick out, and design, and build a new barn now.

The fence people are 35 years experienced and can do it. They measured today. We will get a preliminary quote written up emailed by monday. This was before we knew the barn would not be there so that will change some things.

Waiting on Lady the Nubian to kid. Trinka the Lamancha goes on the 9th.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
We could. The resident decorator in our relationship wants it nice, new englandy barn looking.
Personally I'm more concerned about the layout, loft, and getting it built. I really like midwestern style pole barns though. But if he makes it too classy I want it to wind up pepto pink. Or a big yellow smiley on the road/house facing side. That's very midwestern. Functional. Some would say a little tacky.

I'm still getting my mind around the fact we have to get a barn built. I hope the fence building goes smoother and faster than the barn is looking like it will at the moment. It's really important to keeping Bailey in, the goats in, and my kids in and not drowning in neighbors pools. (And Bailey also likes pools.)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
"Pepto pink"? I would say a LOT tacky ;) There's nothing wrong with "barn red" :D

I guess pole barns are cheaper to put up than some other styles. How old is the existing falling down barn, what style? My "not in good shape" barns are pre Civil War. No big machinery back then so the hay mow - drive bay - animal area design isn't the best for storing the tractor and implements. Especially when the mow and animal area are dirt "floor" that slopes down hill and neither have people doors let alone big doors for machinery.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
2CAA8EE8EB77_1616963528495.png

I have a security cam now. It's on the kidding stall (so I can watch kidding progress from the comfort of my...doing dishes, laundry, and chronic tidying), but I'm going out another $35 for one to focus on the door.