rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, what's this? The row of prongs moves easily up and down with a lever to your left on the seat. I'm thinking hay, but beyond that, I don't know much. It rolls very easily so I'm going to have to hide it from the kids.

IMG_20210501_134847395.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule is right. It is an old Hay rake... called a dump rake. Mostly used horse drawn, but we pulled it with the pickup the first year when I moved to Va because that is what we had. Someone sits on the seat, and when you get a certain accumulation of hay , you pull the lever and it "dumps it" . "Fun", but a hot day on the rake.... Many times you would try to dump in the same "row" so you had a long row of "raked hay" ... made for picking up with a baler or going around and picking up with pitchforks and pitching it onto a wagon. Also, there were horse drawn accumulators that would gather the hay as you went across the fields, so you tried to dump the hay in the same row as you went across the field....

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Omg! The boundaries are all marked at the new place. There is some "wetland" (swamp), but only a few feet(so draw a 100' ring around that :confused: ). The sides of the pasture are overgrown, so we'll put in gate and eventually I'll cattle panel over to the boundaries and let the goats at it. Eventually maybe it will be cleared.

Squeee! I have 7 acres! And I know where they are!

But I need to not get too happy. I need a barn company, a big death trap taken down, and a new barn put up.:weee
Oh no, not too happy here at all.

We're just moving and moving and moving stuff over in the van endlessly.