rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The two rows of beams down the middle look nice and the center dividing wall looks passable, but the rest is disintegrating warped mush. Maybe the columns upstairs are okay if the bottom gets cut off and some of the more recent roof repair and modification wood might be okay. Maybe. It almost looks like there was a cupola in the middle of the barn that may have been take. Out when the steel roof was put in, but I don't feel good about walking on the floor to find out. Concrete does not have strength under tension unless it has rebar and all. Plus, the barn started talking when I tested the first step. I guess those doors up there are staying.
IMG_20210521_083347474.jpg

A removed door in the loft.
IMG_20210521_083445314.jpg

Another removed door?
IMG_20210521_083509061.jpg

Not sure what this is for, but the cables are loose which is probably not great, my gut says.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
On that old desk, if you want to keep that old patina, that took years to acquire, I know how. Get Gojo waterless hand cleaner, not the kind with grit. You want the plain Gojo waterless hand cleaner. Wipe some on the desk with a rag and keep rubbing. It will lift off the grime, not harm the old finish, and shine it up. Try a spot and you’ll see what I mean.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday the older patriarch of the neighbors to the east caught my husband and told us we had a secret room in the basement that the guy before the last guy used to store his big gun collection...also that he didn't like Bailey barking at night. She barks very little here and then the grass muffles it (and she is by far not the loudest dog in the neighborhood), but I guess that's too much. Would like that barn to lock everything up, I suppose. The housing market in Groton is skyrocketing so paying off this house and building a barn might happen if we hurry up and sell that house soon. *stress, stress, stress*
So today a huge ash pit was discovered under the fireplace out side of what we thought was the edges of the foundation. We found the clean out doors too. Not sure how a pit that size can be cleaned out with such small doors but whatever. The pit continues toward the cold storage room on the right, but ends on the left leaving a void of unaccounted for space between it and the corner next to the garage. The wall by the garage door sounds hollow like a door when you knock on it rather than like cinderblock or framed insulation, but it's covered in wood panel that was probably put up by the last guys. Assuming the neighbor didn't mean the cold storage room, that's where I'd put a "secret" room, and an entrance by the door would be ideal for a gun room. We are tired enough we probably won't think too much about it for a while, but it's fun to wonder.

My vaccinated family is in this weekend for my november baby's blessing. I'm fully vaccinated too so risk of covid should be minimal. (That was a rough vaccine.)

I'm looking at these two barn floorplans now. Not sure we'll go with these guys, but they built my last barn, so I'm going to find out more.
What do you think?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure. We'll find that out and more when the resources are available.
Today after trying to smash Moses across the field, Lace had a single buckling (I saved the puppy). The lady who wants Lace should take both goats. The plan is for Lace to leave ASAP. Our kidding season is over.
I might be bringing in another goat.