rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday finally we closed on the house. Tomorrow we go out on a plane for an animal prep trip. Little bit stressful.

On a different note...
I had the opportunity to buy a used semen tank that holds from someone who had accumulated 5 tanks when people sold out of AI and she wanted the semen but didn't need the tank but took the extra tank anyway. It came with a bunch of nubian semen, which I will need to get g6s tested before using on Dan's nubian goat, Spot the Galaxy. I also bought some lamancha semen and 5 dwarf straws from a very milky lined dwarf buck...so I'm adding 13 bucks to my pen. The oldest 5 nubians have about 200 straws between them and are from the 70's and 80's. The kids are fascinated by the concept of "buck juice" from bucks long gone that they get to use to use to help Spot have kids but conveniently they are terrified of the concept of liquid nitrogen. I can tell you I will be storing the tank under lock and key in the milk shop at the new place. The tank gets to Mass tonight. The goat transporter will be taking it down with the goats. There's a lot of "Longman Dusty Baron" in there. Someone over collected.

I'm attempting to arrange a load of alfalfa to be coming while we're out there. I have some skinny goats that have had doelings on them for the past 8-9 months. It's time to get them beefy again for next year.

In regards to breeding. I have 5 lamancha does, and one dwarf tenatively bred and plan to put up a dwarf breeding pen when I get there (and the tenatively bred one one will be put back in there because I don't trust Eri to be bred until she's over being BRED, and she doesn't mind the extra "fun" anyway). I have 5 lamanchas I am holding off on to add condition to, to AI, or to stagger breed with cidrs and pg600. There's one lamancha doeling, Galaxy the noober, and 3 dwarf doelings that are too small and will probably be that way until next fall. And then there's the mini saanen that's just about ready now to breed and may go in with the dwarf breeding pen when we get there (with Eri and the 2 new dwarf does)...We might be able to have a kid filled spring and fall and a milky year after that for herd shares.
Time to stress about the prep trip!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing about New England is that you can always find someone to transport stuff for pay. Here is the new tank. It arrived an hour ago during chores. This thing sure isn't portable. More on this project later.
PXL_20211103_224721979.jpg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The huge tank is mostly liquid nitrogen. There are a ton of straws in it, but I don't think they take up much space. Here are the bucks I have according to the google sheets I was given. I handpicked the lamancha and dwarf. I guessed at the nubian and some of it came with the tank. It also looks like the seller included a few extra bucks. All have at least 5 straws. A few have way too many. I guess they over collected.

Nubian
CAM'S MENAGERIE HM PILGRIM
Longman’s Dusty Baron
Cam’s Menagerie HFM Firewalker
King’s Ransom Next Dance
CH Cam’s Menagerie DB Destiny
Hidden Meadows Apprentice
CH Cam’s Menagerie Count Denali
CH Cam's Menagerie HM Checkmate
GCH RANCHO HORIZON MAVERICK
SG FAITH-FARM EDEN'S TESTIMONY
Kings Ransom Flamingo Dancer

Lamancha
Here Be Goats MAI Isaac *B
Heart-MT.-Carter-Kids Sujourn
Lucky*Stars TD Johnny *B
ROCKIN-CB KTL ZORRO
CH Montage Justa Nikolea

Dwarf
BadMoonRizn Shoot 4the Moon

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not done AI but have liquid nitrogen and frozen samples at work. There are special gloves and suits to protect against splashing. The semwn straws will be in some sort of holder with a handle that sticks out of liquid level assuming its like our sample holders. You pull holder out, select straw, then put holder back it.