rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope so too. We're not actually that offensive to live next to. Our dogs are friendly and rarely bark and we try our best to always keep everything inside the fence! I guess even rarely was not acceptable back there in Townsend. My guess is they shook the 8 ball for neighbors and didn't get what they wanted. That, or maybe they were one of the parties that tried to buy the last house at the same time as us and they didn't get it and if that's the case, I can't help them there and they're welcome to try again now (apparently we were one of two identical offers with a 3rd as pretty close at the time and I will forever wonder if the next door guys wanted to split up their extended family and spread them over the two close houses). Or maybe you just need a charismatic local sponsor to live successfully and unmolested in Mass and we didn't have one. But I don't care. It's almost over there. I was notified of a showing for Saturday this morning after the house went live Wednesday. Yay for activity.

Teff hay coming tomorrow. The goats don't LOVE it, but they don't spend all day trying to pick out all the golden over mature bits so they can throw them on the ground...because there aren't any. My alfalfa contact isn't thrilled about hand (me and dh with or without him) unloading. He suggested he reduce the load and bring his tractor. I said sure but haven't heard anything for several days as far as scheduling goes and then came the holiday so I made a connection with another alfalfa person with hay 1.5 dollars more than the other guys in case. They bring a skid steer so they don't care I don't have a tractor with a hay spear. It worked out nice because the new hay person is out of town for a cattle conference and while they could schedule something while they were out they preferred to do it on Monday, so guy one has the weekend to get things scheduled before I go to guy 2. I don't want to be caught with half a hay store and all when kidding time comes. One of my little orchard lamancha does is due to kid in February and even though I think her dam was a B string doe, I know they tend to produce HARD and I'd like to be done buying alfalfa pellets.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to add: Yesterday, Thanks giving, was baby Shaun's first birthday, so today, since he likes Dinty Moore so much I made him some lower salt Wean Stew. Tiny diced pressure cooked veggies in thicked poultry broth with tiny diced muscovy duck chunks (thanks, Dad!) anyone? Mini stew. In the mini pressure cooker. Now in ice cube trays in the freezer. Baby lunch.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teff came today from a farm 15 minutes down the road. The hay farmer says my field is fescue. I need to go pull some and examine picture but it's probably tall fescue, possibly bluegrass but I doubt it. Looks like i need to look into endophyte testing. Oh pooey. I might have some pasture improvement I'm going to need to do before turning goats out.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why is he called Danger Dan, you ask?
This was not something I expected to see crossing the kitchen floor as I came in from doing chores. I can't imagine how that could go wrong.
...This might have something to do why I can't get as much done as I think I should be able to and why I celebrate each of their birthdays so hard myself...
PXL_20211129_161942670.MP.jpg

PXL_20211127_192001996.jpg

And one pic of the teff hay.