rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
A-okay. I will find another cow...in a slow, unmotivated way. A bottle calf from a disease tested herd would be nice. Could fit in the van that way. Maybe some day. Still doesn't feel right yet.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's something interesting I stumbled into the other day. Apparently I have the semen tank and a lot of the nubian straws from a herd called "Cam's Menagerie". They bred registered goats from 1986-2016. They liked a buck named "Longman's Dusty Baron" which is why I have a LOT of straws from him (born 1983). If Dan's noober doe ever gets big enough he will probably be the buck I play with first for AI and he is supposedly no slouch. There's a guy going after me for the contents of Cam's tank. I'm not sure I want to sell him any outside of any g6s abnormal carriers (free) and maybe 10 of Dusty Baron. I bought those straws for a purpose and I hadn't listed anything but the carriers. Apparently I unintentionally own a bunch of pieces of nubian history.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you made yourself a heck of a deal and didn’t realize just how good it really is! Whoop!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last night at about 3 I woke up (windows open, 1/2 the ac out) to a large coalition of the tennessee mini coyotes in multiple groups along the fencline having a yipping, chirping, howling party. Bailey was going bananas running from the goats to the various fences barking and couldn't do it all so I made the decision to release Riker with her to help rather than have her killed like the LGD teen down the road or lose goats. The little coyotes cut out when I came outside-I guess they were already close enough to see me. Riker said "hi" then they both ran off barking. They didn't bark for long before everything quieted down and no more coyotes and one died. I guess the locals have discovered my goats and that I don't have scary cows and donkey armies and that goats look snack sized.

Unfortunately the next morning Riker made it apparent that he was happy to go straight back to keeping 100' between me and him at all times. He's in control. I can't touch him. This made giving him his antibiotic, which he still has a week left of, difficult. I spiked his food and tensely waited for him to eat it with Bailey (the hard working wanna-be pig) locked up. Eventually he did. Then he made the mistake of going into one of the cattle panel barn stalls to lay in the mud where I closed him in, caught him, and dragged him home and tied him back out (no ac, I don't want the dogs in the house that is 85 degrees, 75% humidity with little to no wind). That dog is a pill. Unfortunately I think we need him. If I wanted to turn him loose in a group of hundreds of sheep and have no interaction with him for months at a time (or ever) he'd be a great dog, however right now he's a pain in the butkin and will be living on a line until his meds are finished at least and may be tied out to "work" or bark with Bailey by night and back inside by day until he gets his issues worked out. Screwy in the head. I wonder if I should find him a replacement. I feel like his distrust of us is going to do him in and we're not really rural still. We're in the middle of wheat, horse, and cattle fields, but we're 10 minutes from walmart, lowes, restaurant options...great location, but not a great place for a working feral dog to live. That being said, I don't really want to raise another puppy and it appears not all of them will work with Bailey. She HATED Riker's brother. So for now I guess I'll keep thinking it all over and we'll keep showering that dog with treats and everyone's affection and hope something works. If he lays on the floor in the house and not or under on the cool porch there is always someone petting or feeding him something in here. You'd think SOMETHING would hit his stupid brain and convince it we're not bad things.

Oh, I got a replacement refurbished phone. I may go find a screen repair place to see if I can get the camera and front fixed on the broken one in time for me to break a phone since this one I didn't ruin all of and keep my rotating cast of abused electronics...rotating until they truly don't work. I need to take a picture of the pasture. It's greening up and showing that I seeded it very heavily. I've found nightshade coming up that appears to have already been there, but the baby grass seems happy and ready to take over. As much as I want to exercise my rights as a person who doesn't live in mass (illegal to buy or spread fertilizer there unless you pay the state, get approval, and pay for a lot of credit hours and take a class from them) I don't think it's ready to be fertilized yet. Too many are just seedlings with not much root. I don't want to burn anything.

AC man comes tomorrow. Maybe life will look up.
I will be going down to a bottle manufacturer's place to pick up an order of bottles for holding herdshare milk. Then I might be able to open shop (under contract). There's a lot of demand and I'm feeding a lot of dogs and pigs milk that could be paying for hay and grain.

I wonder why Bailey had to pick the screwy dog? At least he's neutered, I guess...

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
My ultra shy dog barks through the window if the house dogs are inside eating something he wants...or if his dinner is late and he's hungry. IDK what to do with him. He likes to come over to kids and boop them with his nose, but only on a tie out. Off lead he's a run away like they are trying to eat him. Mr. Screwy dog.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He just wants to work. But if he gets out, it could turn out bad for him, besides how would you ever get him back home. What about his mouth/teeth? Has the vet said anything about that?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
He just wants to work. But if he gets out, it could turn out bad for him, besides how would you ever get him back home. What about his mouth/teeth? Has the vet said anything about that?
And that's great because the goats LOVE him. I tied him out in the barn last night to help with barking and they had all migrated from their favorite sleeping places to ones all around him by the end of milking time and he was SO happy. The vet said nothing about his teeth. I don't think vets like LGD's around here. It is more like an overlap of half an inch rather than an inch, but I think he's going to be getting milk and kibble instead of just dry kibble for the rest of his life and I'm not sure how well he can bite or crunch into things if he wants to. But he is young. I hope they straighten out. I'm also going to start looking for another vet since no one is having emergencies any more.