rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
How's the goat testing situation going? Are you getting the crazy swings in temp and the wind and cold like we are this week?
How are the kids all doing? School getting out soon?
Hi all! Sorry, brushing Riker put my hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder out of commission for a few days. Then Dan brought home a really bad stomach bug (apparently the teacher told the kids not to use the HAND dryers when they wash their hands because of classrooms next door taking standardized tests and Dan says the boys in his bathroom all decided that meant no handwashing at all and every time the teacher says something like that we get sick a few days later-MAGIC).
Today is the first day I'm not alternating being asleep in bed or in the bathroom all day long. Or changing dipies on raw, powerade colored water poo burned butts (why must kids be pooping acidic water?!) or catching puke, cleaning up puke I didn't catch or ...everything. Today DH is the one in the worst of it. Aiden was also a fountain of fun last night. Now his royal spastic happy self is bouncing off the wallls in between bathroom trips.

This Thursday/Friday is my next goat blood draw date. THANK GOODNESS it's not today. We will be 8 weeks since last possible exposure (from ship date of the does) We'll be doing one at 8, 12, and 16 weeks, then trying to go down to 3-6 months.

We're actually doing okay. We had a mini saanen kid born. She's up to 12 lbs from 7 pound already and that was at 10 days. School gets out at the end of May. DH is planning one of his DH get away's where he packs us all up and takes us with him to fun destinations like the Tennessee state park cabins or a niceish hotel in the middle of nowhere so we can agrotourism for his mental health and so I can have panic attacks the week before trying to get ready.

I might have one more doe due to kid at an unknown date, but I didn't write her date down because her encounter with the buck went terribly, horribly, bad and I didn't think the buck managed to tag her. But she tests pregnant by blood. It's one of my nubians. Apparently they like beating on young nubian bucks that don't court while pineing after lamancha bucks that LOOOOVE courting. The darn young nubian buck I have didn't want to do any courtship at all. He just wanted to climb on and start swinging. Maybe he got her? I'm still kind of doubting. She cycled once, maybe twice after that breeding date and there were no break outs, no break ins, and I didn't rebreed her. Last possible breed date is just before January 9th when I started kidding because I remember being annoyed and thinking that I wasn't going to be breeding does WHILE kidding does and I changed the pens in the barn so I could fence Trinka off to kid and not a breeding pen. I'm still suspicious of this positive pregnancy, but she is getting rounder and snorty breathing while laying around and laying around more like pregnant does do. Maybe that buck is so virile he got her pregnant just looking at her.

So that brings us to the present where I'm laying on my bed, achy again, and probably needing yet another a nap, waiting on an instant cart order full of pedialyte and other stuff (including some sick tummy cravings from the sickies). We're lucky we can get it since we're out of "town" and 10-15 minutes from WM and Kroger in another postal code named after a town that is actually 30 minutes away.

So things are really going okay! Much better than yesterday. NO POSITIVES YET.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For that kind of stomach bug, apple cider vinegar is your friend. I mix half ACV and half honey and put several tablespoons in a small glass of cold water and sip on it until it’s gone. In 30-45 minutes, no diarrhea or puking.

Since your husband is still sick from this, make some for him.!

The ACV kills the bad bacteria that is making you sick and leaves the beneficial bacteria alone. Honey is anti viral and it makes the ACV taste better. Hope y’all get better soon.

I’m glad that there are No positive test results.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got mad this morning in the house so I went out and drew blood for testing. I missed week 8 due to sickness, so this will be week 9. Next round will be at week 13 since last possible exposure in a month then.

If we can be all negative both of those tests we will be past this. Needless to say, I'd like that! 🙏

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got mad this morning in the house so I went out and drew blood for testing. I missed week 8 due to sickness, so this will be week 9. Next round will be at week 13 since last possible exposure in a month then.

If we can be all negative both of those tests we will be past this. Needless to say, I'd like that! 🙏
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Negative! 🙏

I think we will breed this year, but I'd like to get it done in a controlled way before rut both for early kids and so we don't have uncontrolled and prolonged flirtatious visiting through the fence. And since we tend to have buck years and I decreased aggressively I'll probably let myself keep the 1-2 doelings we wind up having and we'll send to processing the bucklings.