rachels.haven's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm concerned I'm not going to get this done before the ground freezes making it impossible, but I can at least try. At least maybe I can fence in the half of the property on my side of the creek. But spring is a backup plan if I can't get our act together fast enough.
I was digging post holes with a manual post hole digger in December, you have time. I hope all the hoops line up fast. I would think they would PREFER you put up a fence to keep animals out of the water.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
As a former New England Yankee, I can tell you that Mass. has the WORST reputation.... for being a stupid state with stupid laws that are so anti-farmer..... known as the a$$hole of new england..... with the worst gun regulations too. My family had property in Vt and we lived in Ct.... taking a rifle across Mass. state lines was taking your life in your hands.... without all the "proper permits"..... to go hunting on family owned land in Vt.. To top it all off, Vermont has the least restrictive gun laws in the nation. No permits required, carry open or concealed..... Yet the last time I researched it, Mass has had more gun violence than Vt..... Ya think someone would learn??????
If it wasn't so prohibitive, I think I would put up a TEMPORARY fence of fence panels and just not tell anyone. T-posts, panels that can be removed...... I would research the fence laws a bit more....Temporary fences.... I do know that under 6 feet tall, and not a spite fence, you do not need a permit according to the state laws....but then there are restrictions for towns/cities and/or counties like here.
It does sound like you have done some serious research on it.... but have you looked at temporary designation? Here temp fence also qualifies for tax exempt on some things.... I do know that here, there is not a "time factor" for "temporary fence"..

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's for "disturbing" or "intruding" (can't remember which, may have been both) on any of your wetlands at all. Which is funny, because the guy who lived here last I believe was on the conservation board mowed up to the edge of the water and planted very invasive bamboo on it.

Town law
https://ecode360.com/9080946

Probably only part of state law. They tend to only give the public parts of their laws online even if it looks like the whole law, I've discovered. I read this a few months ago and need to reread, but can't at this moment.
https://www.mass.gov/regulations/310-CMR-1000-wetlands-protection-act-regulations

I'd be happy to fence the property in half and keep the goats and dog out of the creek-but not by leaving 150 feet on each side as the town is trying to make you do. That's ridiculous and it would turn into a predator super highway.

I guess I'll be reading and worrying still. I'll also contact the ag commission board and get to an area of service and call the conservation board.

Mass does seem to be quite pro abandoned farm. That's what they've got the most of.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got Bailey her 8 week old puppy. LOOOONG ride to Deering NH. He vomited most of the ride home and was still vomiting for 3-4 hours after, so he's on a chicken and rice home diet to help him (raw food puke is terrible, I discovered, and I contacted his breeder who said add rice and do cooked chicken only, no veg). Bailey decided to help him feel better by taking all the treats and kibble she could get out of my son, chewing it once and dropping it on puppy's head as much as possible. He didn't eat it of course, but it seemed to make him happy, so now they are best friends. He growled a huge dog growl at her and refused to get out of the crate at first (so I dumped him out, because she was gleefully wiggle butting it and being very slow and gentle and slow wiggle butting dogs don't kill puppies, also, no sequestering yourself in a crate and defending it). He and his siblings and mom were permanently in with ND's, so he did okay with the intro to my goats today. Only Ava with babies was really afraid of him. He tried to put Saffron at ease and I was there to intervene if she was a butt about it. She's ignoring him now. He's also been good with the rest of us and is a very placid pup all around-mostly just wants to sleep with chewing on the side. He's so little-only 14 lbs, so obviously he won't be working or being left unsupervised yet. The breeder seemed to think he'd do best if kept with Bailey in with the goats like they were at home. If the goats don't want to cream him and while they're not in the grazing pen that he can slip out of I think I'd be okay with that. She'll keep him safe and dote on him and make him mind his manners. She does not want to be separate from him anymore either. It was a cause for distressed when we tried to split them up and send her back to work and him for a nap when he was feeling particularly bad.

Small hitch occurred on #2 started getting hay fever and puffy eyes while cuddling and rubbing his face all over puppy. Either he's allergic to the puppy shampoo, or we won't be having house doggies. Son doesn't react to Bailey. Son also can't wrestle her though (*squish*). Puppy couldn't really wrestle either. He mostly just laid there, needing a nap and a few more vomits, I think.

So I guess we'll just take it easy then and help this sleepy, laid back Bailey style puppy grow up. Last I checked they were both laid out deflated on the barn floor side by side like a dog murder scene. Might get the vet out for a health check, I guess. He should be chicken proof too, apparently. We'll see.

No fence updates today. Too much driving.

We should have enough dogs now.