rachels.haven's Journal

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The pedigrees looked very nice especially the Lil Orchard! However, and this is something all should keep in mind. Pedigree is only a factor.
Always LOOK at the actual goat for sale! Always find out the management requirements as well.
There are goats LA'ing at 80 that produce 90's and goats that LA90 and produce 80... every farm EVERY farm no how matter how big the name will have less than stellar animals. Not all genetics line up either. You can have goats from famous farm A and goats from famous farm B but they may not mix at all!
Sounds like the goats would have been a good start.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd take a look. The one doe (fallen angel ) is already a CH and has a good appraisal, don't like the tilted chest floor but she may be worth it anyway. I'd take a look and see if it's really tilted- ask who appraised her. She looks like a small doe, but appears that she has a great back and rump. For me personally, I like to see udder height a bit higher but she still earned an E in mammary so certainly no slouch. She may be a really nice doe for you to use.

Blue heaven is the daughter of Fallen angel. Why are they selling dam and daughter? Are they culling these genetics from their herd?
Fallen Angel has quite a few registered daughters, I'd ask if they have retained any for their own herd. If they have, look closely to see if they have a tilted chest floor.

I'd take a look, if you like them bring them home. :)

Welbian, little orchard, kastdemurs, shady lawn south fork are all well known herds.
You just have to look at the individual animals and see if YOU like them.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
They cut a lot of does this year. I'm not sure why they are selling. Fallen Angel is 7. Purple Summer has an orifice that is not plumb to the bottom of the teat. Blue Heaven was supposed to be a dry yearling this year but she jumped out and a neighbor caught her and accidently put her in the buck pen to contain her. She will need to be milked through till next year. That's what I know so far. I've been invited to come and see them on Tuesday this week. It's exciting.

I'm pretty sure a tilted chest floor is when the brisket area-the strip between their legs-is angled so their body line in the belly area doesn't seem to "flow" from the front to the back and make them look wide and deep. Instead they look tubular, with a broken belly line along the bottom when viewing from the side. Saffron, I'm pretty sure, has a slightly tilted chest floor (BUT good feet, good parasite resistance, silky butter udder, just long enough teats, and good attitude means I don't care). She may not though, I could be wrong. It seems to be becoming less prominent as she puts on weight and the longer she has been here. When she's thin everything stands out. I also feel like she's put on a little size too since she arrived so it may be that she's grown a bit and things really are changing. But I digress...

I've arranged a breeding for Saffron. It was my plan to get her a buckling and a doeling friend in 2020 to grow out and eventually breed. The breeder has a buck at one of her friend's nearby me earning his keep for the year at the friend's place since he was the main busy buck last year. They're all disease tested. My doe's disease tested. We will introduce buck and doe for a quick rendezvous. The breeder also suggested seeing if we can register Saffron as NOA while we're at it, preferably long before hand. Her ears are small enough. The breeder seems to think we can. I need some info from the lady I bought her from at least. If we can't, well, that's okay too. I like her the way she is.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie the way I understand it is that if you are directly in front of the goat, and can easily see the pad formed then the chest is tilted- the chest floor is “sloped”.

@rachels.haven
I’m super excited for you. Looks like some nice does! Definitely get your doe NOAd, so worth it! Years ago, two long time successful Lamancha breeders encourage us to register our fist Lamancha as NOA. One of the best things we’ve ever done!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you need a permit for long guns too? Indiana is different than some states. Firearms on private property is allowed without permits. Permits are for carrying handguns here. Open carry or concealed. Long guns aren't given permits. I do live out of town, so handguns on my property or long guns are both permissible. A 12 guage shotgun with some .00 buckshot wouldn't travel as far, but would sure pack a punch to coyotes. It would kick good too, so there's that. Handguns are more for 2 legged vermin, but most will stop in their tracks as well when confronted with a shotgun or lever action, AR-15, etc. Just curious.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it's an antique and not able to or intended to be fired supposedly you don't need a license for it. I don't trust the state not to somehow cause you grief anyway.
Here's a website that sums things up. Not sure how credible they are.
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/gun-laws-state/massachusetts-gun-laws/

Our licenses are in today, btw. DH has the day off, so we're going to go get them.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Indiana follows Federal law about transporting firearms. As long as it's lawfully owned, firearm can be in vehicle secured and if ammunition is present, it has to be secured in a separate area of the vehicle until getting to ones temporary or otherwise permanent abode.

Latest posts