rachels.haven's Journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting some fence up will be Wonderful for ya and the animals.....bears are very unpredictable and ya can't outrun them....and they climb real well....so, I would certainly keep distance between me and them....a 410 pump with 0 buckshot, or slug will bring it down....or a larger cal pistol....just doesn't have the range, but if it is charging ya better have something to set it on its rear, or ya are risking enduring the aftermath....:)

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting some fence up will be Wonderful for ya and the animals.....bears are very unpredictable and ya can't outrun them....and they climb real well....so, I would certainly keep distance between me and them....a 410 pump with 0 buckshot, or slug will bring it down....or a larger cal pistol....just doesn't have the range, but if it is charging ya better have something to set it on its rear, or ya are risking enduring the aftermath....:)

They are almost in the White Mountians, bears are common for them...just not at the front door when opening it :ep

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
On a lighter note, last night was busy, but Saffron's papers got back, and last night I loaded her in the van and got her bred. I dropped the rear mini van seats, got a piece of polywall and cut it to fit, then lined the front and back of it with towels and put tarps in the middle for traction, and attached a light leash to the back of the middle van seats at the right length so no jumping over or turning around could occur, but plenty of sitting and standing up.
...and then I had to lift a large horny goat that wanted nothing more than to go back stand by the buck pen and start fights into the car instead. When I originally got her she weight taped in at 140...now she's taller and wider and some would say fat, so I'm a little afraid to measure again. It certainly made loading by my self interesting. BUT I WON, and she got to watch cars passing and TV on the van TV the whole way (a little over an hour).

Then she had a very respectful 15 minute date with Rustic Wood's Black Tie Affair, who she was much larger than, but happy to accommodate. After getting my children out of the trees where they'd flown off to with the resident children, home we went (they were looking for flying ants, and it was VERY important). Next season, we get our own buck or two I think. I've got a reservation for one from the lady who owns the buck who bred her this round, and I'd like to also get one at some point from the Longvu Lamancha family if they have one that would fit my requirements, but I'm willing to wait for both of those. I'd rather not do studding, even if all parties involved are disease tested. It's a bit of a hassle to drop everything and drive your doe to her beau's place on both ends.

Of course that's all assuming we don't all get eaten by bears, I guess, lol. That felt really bizarre and surreal. I've lived in a couple of rural places, but never had issues like this with wildlife. DH says it's because I was in farming areas where problem wildlife was shot on sight and here nobody does, which I don't see as sustainable here. This is not really a farming area. Somebody's going to get bit or mauled. They've already had to euthanize a bear in Fitchburg this year (my town's response:"POOR BABY, YOU BAD HUMANS, YOU SHOULDN'T EXIST", kind of sentiments) and every few years we have recorded coyote attacks on people. I guess we're staying though. I get the feeling I'm going to have to up the moxi and kill a bunch of stuff to make up for disconnected people and I'll probably take heat for that at some point on the community level. No silencers allowed, after all (and a bunch of super restrictive rules, some outright banning things that could bring my activities under the radar).

Latest posts