rachels.haven's Journal

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @rachels.haven,

I am so glad you are finally getting your fence done! Did the fencing guy actually suggest asking forgiveness instead of permission, or did he simply not say no when you suggested it? Either way, I know this has got to be a relief for you. Now you will have much better protection from the Wile E. Coyote that has been threatening your livestock and possibly your family!

Senile Texas Aggie

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s great on getting a fence up and the non/maybe advice that you didn’t hear about no permit-ask forgiveness for the sorta kinda halfway temporary fence masquerading as a structure that obviously space aliens brought from another universe since you have no idea where it came from.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I remember suggesting "temporary fencing" , and am glad that it was something that the wind carried in like the sound of a train is more pronounced on the cloudy days when the "ceiling" is lower..... someone must've been talking about it somewhere else in the general NE states area. SSS is still the quietest route to go for most anything....except for the removal of the eagle that was plaguing my free range layers several years back. Granted your DH might balk at it being as upright as you say he is.....AAHHH just do it.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce Yes, woven wire field fencing, 47 inches for the dogs and kids.

and yes, @farmerjan you did suggest temporary fencing, and bruce may have as well but I thought you meant short term temporary, not long term temporary. Apparently I was being a bit blonde at the time. Net fencing is in vogue in the goat world right now and that's not my cup of tea, nor do I think it would make sense in this application if using it was even possible, so i let the whole idea short out.

DH and I are still talking in short spurts between his constant working about what he'd be comfortable with me doing with our property across the swamp that comes off the driveway without permission. I may not say much more about that here. He's either working or asleep lately (and working nights and weekends for Mr. Pinhead director and Spineless, probably pinheaded boss) but we're getting by. :he But that's not farm related. It's just annoying and makes things kind of bleak and tricky to communicate through.

Just got back late from grocery shopping, time to go milk.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If one wanted a pretty permanent but easy to call temporary (if the fence police come by) fence, @farmerjan's T-post and cattle panel fence is it. The posts don't take much time to put in and can be pulled in a few seconds with a post puller. But that fence has limitations on predator protection, especially if your predators are fox, possum or coon.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, DH says cattle panels are temporary by him and that may or may not be the plan :)

I mean, I can move them around. I may still try to go through the nonsense of applying for permanent fencing, but there may be nonsense ahead.