rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's kind of almost sad though. They're SO stupid they can't help themselves. They're like little computers with crappy programming, some crappier than others. However I don't feel too bad about eating the bad ones.

Crated both leghorns separately. By morning one had an unharmed egg and one had a messy cage. I released the egg one. The eggs in the coop have not been harmed so far. I'm waiting the whole day to make sure I've got my culprit. I'm willing to slowly work my way through the chickens and see who eats the eggs they lay to stop this where it's at and get this out of my flock rather than just cull them all. I think I may be about done though. Hopefully I caught it early enough.

I LIKE HAVING CHICKENS, DARN IT.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, darn. I came home from grocery shopping to see Bailey holding Patrick the buck down while Badger was beating them up. I got MAD at them both and was not gentle when dragging them to the front grazing pen and taping a stick of shame to Badger's collar. Both of them are in the "dog house" and kicked out of the goat runs until further notice. After I cleaned off the bloodsickle, Patrick only has a 3/4 "long gash down his tail, skin only so I packed it with antibiotics and put him in a stall by himself. Poor Patrick, he submits to everything. I'm debating getting a vet to put in a stitch or two to keep it closed. I may try to wrap it, but it's so cold I'm kind of afraid to put extra pressure on such a small extremity.

I'm not entirely sure why they did it, but but we have a doe in heat and last time we had a doe in heat, Badger did go crazy for goat backsides and Bailey held down his targets for him to chew on their rears (so I gave them both major tongue lashings and dragged Badger off to the buck run). It's possible he may be redirecting and if that's the case, he may also be about to lose his gear, young or not. Patrick is the kids' favorite (and EXPENSIVE). Plus, Patrick is probably my favorite nigerian buck too. I was mad enough I could have neutered Badger on the spot. He's lucky DS#2 was there. Dumb dogs. Patrick is basically his adult size too, so it's not like the dogs were going after kids.

The posts are in and the gates are almost all up.

Tomorrow should be a better day.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's not cool, bad doggies :smack:rant...... 🤔 can you put liquid bandage on it to at least seal the wound? It sure would sting but it does stay on really well.
Great news about you almost having a completed fence, that sure will make things a little safer and easier for you, please post pictures when it's done so we can celebrate with you 🐏🐏🐏🐏

Latest posts