rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
No worries, and thank you. It's time for me to try to let go. It's okay for me to mourn for Badger and what could have been. But I don't want to be mad. That hurts too. And I will definitely try to consider a ldg in need of new employment if one comes up and feels right. Not ready yet though.

Naw we didn't get the whole bed, just the bed frame came with the house. It doesn't come apart very well, even the pointy bits and is ridiculously tall and probably wouldn't have fit in the previous owner's new appartment. I find it comical, but I really appreciate having a bed stand very much. We never had a real one before. We did have a king sized mattress already, but we had it on the floor in the last house which gave plenty of support, and the big size meant my kids who didn't used to sleep through the night couldn't kick me out of my spot in the bed when I got too fatigued to play the "get back in your bed" game. Kids expand when sleeping, they never tell you in the kid manual. But we love them. And they love tying things to and climbing those dangerous bed posts, but that's kids for you. Now we have the whole package bed-wise, (but not because we are good adults who plan ahead and buy furniture, we're just blessed/lucky).

Today was probably the first really good day since things went South. I'm so happy to be able to be happy. I think we really had been stressed out and not realized it.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. I love having a bed. We paid a lot for the house, but we didn't just get the house it really improved our quality of life.

And we definitely will. It's wonderful to have the privilege of spoiling Bailey. I always want this to be her happy place and for her to know she's home. Plus, it's easy to spoil her. She gets the biggest kicks out of doing a circuit of the house and visiting her kids. I'm so glad we have her.

I should probably set something up at some point and work on her biggest behavioral issue-trying to jump up on and climb into the laps of guests and strangers (she's no anti theft dog). She'd love meeting more new people and the process of obtaining new manners and social skills. If it gets warm enough I think we should take her down town a few times a week and go on a walk to do just that. That was the one bad habit she came with (other than collar slipping, that we all know about and have ways around, and it appears to be more of a chubby neck-small head structural issue). We don't get new people coming through our place often enough for me to rehabit her around the barn yard. I should have time now to do it now that I'm not forever trying to fix Badger. (and she isn't that bad on this issue, and is very responsive, so I don't see this as going to be a painful process, just a reconditioning process and she'll need to practice regularly to remember)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I typically will use a slip lead, the fat ropey kind, not the kind for small dogs at the vet. It squishes her neck when necessary and stays on. If that fails, we will go full on harness. She's VERY good on lead, so a harness is a good suggestion I hadn't thought about. You just have to remind her that most people don't want a face full of wet dog nose and a booped snoot every so often...

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The big coyote is back, moaning and howling like a horror movie wolf on the hill all morning. Bailey was all about telling him he wasn't coming in here right back (and I yelled at him with her, you know, like a crazy person). Good dog. We're all doing our bests, even us crazy people.

I can't get over how much Bailey loves her goats and how happy she is now. She really seemed to take the brunt of the bad puppy situation and is doing GREAT now.

Last edited:

Latest posts