rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
South wall of the buck run done. It's a triangle with the existing fence as one wall, so the only part left is the lOOOOOOOOONG haul back to the fence. DH helped me put panels over the fence this time. That's SO much easier.

I also got tarps on order and coming so I can build a cattle panel rain shelter in both pens. Then the bucks should have the option of staying out while in rut so less fencing gets trashed when they're in sight of the does. In the current arrangement it would be hard for them to be in sight of the does at all.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny story...
I trained the ducks to come running when I yell, "HEY DUCKS!" as loudly and unprettily as possible (and the females hollar back with their lusty ear splitting quacks) for lockup purposes.

Today I put all the goats out (except Saffron and her mini saffrons because of fence jumping) and this after noon the time eventually came to put them away. The does come first and know to come to the fence and follow me when I yell "Hey does!" (less ugly). Then it was the bucks turn in their pen...and wouldn't you know it, "Hey BUCKS" summoned all 20 pekins as well as my male goats, through the open yard fence from the very far corners of the backyard.

Darn ducks. "B" and "D" are two different sounds. Learn to differentiate. HMPH.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's cute! 🤣

I taught our two young barn cats to come to HEY cat! I did it with Kid#2 in mind, since he's a cat lover and likes to see them when he visits. The high pitched 'here kittykittykitty!' that I used to use for general cat purposes just seemed a little too fussy for a brawny young guy. His interpretation was always like 'here...kitty...kitty' in a low voice. Summoned nothing. So Hey Cat! seemed genius to me. He thinks it's weird :rolleyes:. But the cats come running so that's what counts I guess.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also got tarps on order and coming so I can build a cattle panel rain shelter in both pens.
If you plan to leave it up in the winter make sure to add something to the top of the panels to keep their shape. I used to have an inverted U shaped cover over the blueberries, covered with poultry wire to keep the birds out. It is now an M shape.

Darn ducks. "B" and "D" are two different sounds. Learn to differentiate. HMPH.
Try "Quacken" or "Quackers". GoldShawFarm's YouTube channel - lots of ducks. His "schtick" (they all seem to have something) is when he opens the duck house for the day yelling "RELEASE THE QUACKEN!".

If you don't love that WONDERFUL suggestion, I suppose you could use "HEY BOYS".

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Then i could have the bucks AND the boys cavorting around the front yard. That could be fun. ;)

I think I want to use "HEY MOTHER DUCKERS!"...because only 2 of them will be male when I'm done with this grow out period. Also, because it will make my neighbors think I'm crazy(-ier than they already think I am).

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will definitely think up something to keep the cattle panels shaped up over the winter. Or I may take them down in the snow. We'll see. Winter is cold.

I have used cattle panels as shelters year round for years. Currently my hay "tube" which is four panels horizontal (2x2) and 8 panels arched up and connected to the horizontal panels about half way down, if that makes sense. It ends up being about 32' long by about 8' wide by 8' tall. I got 9 tons of hay in it and it works great, you just have to pull the snow off daily.

I have made smaller temp ones for my wethers, and mini horse and mule, and it's the same deal. If you are diligent in pulling the snow off they are handy and durable. And cheap!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will definitely think up something to keep the cattle panels shaped up over the winter. Or I may take them down in the snow. We'll see. Winter is cold.
They will be fine if you take the tarp off. I was amazed that poultry wire held the snow, figured it would fall through.
"Remove the snow daily" - yeah that would have been a good plan if I had any idea it was going to be a problem. In fact I never even look at the garden in the winter, nothing going on out there. Didn't know it happened until spring.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score