rachels.haven's Journal

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @rachels.haven,

Couldn't you get a good gun safe in which to store your guns? You may not can keep your names from the database of the pediatricians, but I really don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you practice gun safety. You can also assure your husband that he won't automatically become a hardcore right-winger by owning guns. I have owned guns for years and haven't become one yet -- although I have been having the strange urge to tune into Alex Jones at Infowars lately! :) (Just kidding on the urge.)

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with STA. I don't think the pediatrician's query means "if you own guns you are unsafe to have kids". I believe it is to make sure that if there ARE guns on the property they are safely stored and not available to the kids. Kids have accidentally killed other kids when they got into guns that were not safely stored. If you have no guns, they don't need to ask further questions about how they are stored.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I lived in New England, and had friends and family that lived in Mass. I would not put it past the "authorities" to want to know about the guns and the best way is to do it in a way that seems very innocuous by having pediatricians want to record if you have a firearm or not. nd yes, the very far off the radar ones would use it as a "standard" of judging you as unfit to have children, or to keep your children. I realize you are in Vt @Bruce , but as one who has roots in New England that goes back to the settling of Ct., the changes in what used to be old fashioned common sense and values of independence and stubborn "yankee " ingenuity, is unbelieveable. My great grandmother would talk about the changes in her lifetime, and my grandparents would talk about the differences from when they were young to when they were in their 70's and older. Our families have roots in Ct., and in NY, and in Vermont. Mass was a state to get through as fast as safely possible due to their restrictive laws and outlandish overbearing attitudes.

There is an agenda in Mass, and wanting to know if there are guns in a house where there are children is an invasion of personal privacy. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw a locomotive.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure how that would work for butchery, but I thought about it. Unfortunately so did the legislature here. Crossbows are illegal for hunting unless you are disabled with a doctor's note. If I used it to shoot coyotes someone could argue that I was "hunting" and get me in trouble.
But I could always consider it. Worst case, someone finds a shot coyote and decides to go after me for killing their beloved coyote pets. I am able to lawyer up if I need to-it's just gross (everybody does here and sues their neighbor like it's a hobby.)

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
All the remaining panels are in place for the buck pen. Now I just need to pound posts and clip or tie them on.
But putting your kid through school takes time, so we're not exactly on the fast track here.
It's a solid wall of tick infested rogue landscaping greenery out there. The bucks are going to have a field day.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
A big tree somewhere on the property fell today a few minutes ago in the gentle breeze. It was very loud and caused a huge dust cloud, which at this time of year means a pine was involved somehow because they were spreading pollen today starting at about 10 am. All the poultry spooked and the dog woke up to look around. Many branches fell for several minutes later. I'm not sure exactly where it is because the woods are so tall and large I feel like an ant back there. DH was just saying no trees looked like they were going to fall in that area as we sat on a 3' in diameter rotten log and looked around. Never say that. Our woods are not particularly safe. Nope, not letting anyone put up a tent there and camping. Sorry. Little camp fire maybe, but I'm going to be there on the alert at all times. Bad trees, bad bears, bad coy-things, rabies.
I'd rather clear the woods, fence in the property, and plant grass and orchard trees-BOTH SHORT.
These woods are really working my nerves with the hand fed animals and spontaneously shattering 50 foot trees. Kind of makes me miss Iowa.
I'll go find the tree later.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sold 19 chickens for $20/each today after listing them Friday, and gave away 2 roosters. 7 more whiting pullets to go. I've decided I need CALM chickens regardless of the color they lay. The silkies are turning out tiny eggs like crazy(...for bantams) We like those fine, let's get some more brown eggers.
I liked the attitude on my gold comet/red star/cinnamon queen meat males, let's get some (16?) of those in the female model, and some australorp pullets (16?) and a rooster or two. I need to be able to handle my birds, not have them flying 20 feet in the air every time they see their own shadow and roosting at night in the trees. I may reduce later. Apparently they have no trouble selling.

Having trouble letting go of the 4 leghorns. They are calmer than this batch of Whitings and they are set to begin laying on June 8th. I should probably let go of those still too crazy leghorns.
:idunno

Last edited:

Latest posts