rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I edited it out once, but Durango the nigerian buck is up for sale too. In his pedigree, with the last goats that are subject to linear appraisal, lurks bad front legs. Apparently there's a defect that shows up around two with Nigerian front legs. He is two, and his front legs are suddenly not straight, his knees don't want to unbend all the way and are no longer straight. That needs to not be here, but it makes me sad. The rest of him is amazing.
I've seen it said once that it often follows Rosasharn goats, and that is where his roots lie, so I guess I'll also watch the other bucks too. Almost every Nigerian has Rosasharn roots though, so I'm not sure if it's really true. I'll just keep watching. No one gets a free pass on this issue, not even Dur.
Buckeye is two the 17th of n xt month, and Patrick is two next year in March. I'll keep watching then.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Count left today. Ava's bucklings left today to be eventually wethered when old enough. More hay money, I guess.
Found hay.
Sugar and Ginger are still up for sale.
Buckeye and Durango are up for sale in the buck pen. (I don't want to use Buckeye again but may reconsider if he stays, Durango definitely needs to go and and he may be castrated and butchered if he stays or if his legs get worse, unless they magically fix...man, that snuck up on me and that's so sad. Magic eraser fix please?)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Swam through brush to put up more posts for the buck pen. All but three panels worth of posts done. Once I finish those I need to tie or clip them on (depending on location) and employ the bucks to clear a space for their shelter. No ticks oddly enough (knock on wood).

One of my kids got a poppy seed tick sitting in the basement today playing minecraft. They keep getting ticks IN the house. The barn yard/yard is very low on ticks, but apparently they are in the basement now. Or in random places like the bedrooms upstairs (and the house is BIG) or stuck to walls around the house. Creepy.

I made more cheese yesterday. I set the last block in the oven to keep it safe from flies while it dried so I could wax it WITHOUT fly spawn in it and DH baked it...Next time I'm taping the oven shut or locking it. I think I'm the only one who knows how to unlock it.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope ya get a handle on the ticks.... :fl ....I have a great dislike for the nasty creatures.....if the house is off the ground they can crawl up from underneath....I've dealt with them before and am feeling sumpin' crawling on me, right now just thinking bout em....:ep....sorry bout your cheese.....maybe a sign letting him know the next time...BTDT........:)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ewww...you DO know ticks. Creepy imaginary guys creeping on you after you've already flushed the actual ticks. THAT feeling.

I'm probably going to spray the outside of the house and will need to get rid of the mice coming and going in the basement.

Thanks on the cheese sympathy. It was quite a dramatic night, lol. We all recovered eventually. DH might still be recovering from the look I gave him. That cheesy sucker took all day and night to make.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ticks and cooked cheese :(
I have fortunately never had to deal with ticks (knocking on wood long and loud!). I did once make "pizza bread". Did you know that pizza dough doesn't do well proofing for a hour at 400°F? Since then I've tried to turn my brain on before the oven.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is difficult. Most people's brains run on autopilot in low energy mode, especially when hungry.

The buck pen is done at 6:30pm. I set the bucks on it. They are complaining about being away from their barn but eating still.

The does went out today too.

I fenced the ducks out from under the coop with chicken wire. It's time to do those drakes. They are getting rapey. Off with their heads, I guess.

Good day. (not particularly so for the lady ducks)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
One safely waxed cheese in the broken fridge that is only running at 55 degrees. We're keeping a days worth of milk, yeast culture, bread, and apples in there. Also fermented turnip pickles.
IMG_20200603_210524317.jpg

I invested in some weights to press my next cheese. And by invested, I mean a neighbor who was moving or cleaning their garage put them at the corner with a sign that read "free" beside them so I picked them up and carried them home. They are 14.8 pounds each and should really be 10, but they are free, so I'll give them a shake. One needed tape. The crack is sort of visible here, but now it's been sealed with silver adhesive, lol.
IMG_20200603_210532090.jpg

And the rapey drakes lost their heads today. We're down to 7 ducks, 2 drakes, and I may still do the more aggressive one of them.
And my kitchen is a mess and the dishes are stalking me.
Bye.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ticks in the house.....yeah, EEEEWWWW! I'll say this for fire ants, there aren't as many ticks as there used to be. There is still ticks, I hate them. The guineas keep the yard and 2 pastures clean.

I used to treat every Fire Ant hill until last year. Now I treat the majority of hills but leave enough alone to take care of ticks. I don't know how scientific that method is but I'm not seeing any ticks in the pasture. I saw a couple the other day when I was trimming the tree line but that's it.