rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I'm going to give the goats a break from browsing today. The does had so many gnats yesterday they left a cloud on their stampede back to the barn that covered my son and I as they passed and Durango in the buck pen is going lame from his knees and just wants to lay around and hide from the others a lot of the time now.
I took Durango off CL. I kept getting interest in a $50 buck for meat, but kept getting snubbed because people don't want a "diseased" $50 buck for meat. What do they expect for that price? (And technically, he is not diseased, his knees are not straight and are wearing out finally because of it) NEVER discount anything on CL. It becomes such a headache. Entitled brats, the people here. Price is a customer quality filter. Durango has an appointment for castration and if I can find a processor he will go sooner, in a month or two to spare him, or he will be added to our order in September if I can keep him walking.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you.
Yes, he inches along for a while so I stayed in denial and now it's picking up. I'll check with the area processors. After yesterday's ducks I'd really like to be done with home butchery for the year. He will probably make September if they can't fit him after the de-musking period.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
It really brought it home when he started sleeping like this or on his own outside when all the other bucks are piled up on eachother inside. If he were human there would be a fix for him, but bucks only want to breed and fight/play, not get his knees worked on. Plus, it's a genetic thing. A single minded breeding animal with even one very bad gene has no purpose unfortunately.
Sad Dur.jpg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm going to try bose. I spoke with another goat person today. He's got Sweetlix mineral and replamin weekly to every other week, but maybe not enough selenium for him with our sulfur water? Then if that doesn't work he will go. Last ditch effort. He's be my first goat with deficiency symptoms if it is selenium. Even the babies so far haven't had any symptoms and they should be the ones to show first, but just in case we'll try this first.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feeling impulsive today. I have begun marking off the back 650ish feet of west propery line. Finding the markers is a pain. Pounding t posts isn't. The field had been blasted and rock picked. Thank you, husband's ancestors!
South propery line is a tumbled down rock wall/ long pile. Not straight, just like on the map.
North propery line is the shared driveway.
East property line goes from the rock wall through the pond to the driveway.

I want 6 strand electric fence up eventually so dog and does can roam, but no trespassing/hunting signs first.

Edited: not 650...unfortunately like 800+ feet. DH went out and corrected me. Neither of us can find any more markers. Time for a tape measure and to get the survey out.

Last edited:

Latest posts