rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
These guys were supposed to be culls because of stunting, and she didn't want to bother registering them for me unless they reached breedable size, which was our agreement (I gambled that they would and this time it appears to have payed off, if they didn't I would sell them to a pet home eventually). She got back to me. I'm hopeful she will get it done.

*I believe she's working as a nurse right now and probably a little busy.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rain late last night into today. Hoping for second cutting hay. I've been watching the fields of the place where I prefer ot buy my hay and it really hasn't grown since first (like a good brown lawn). This water is a RELIEF.
...If the local stuff fails it's not that price of shipped hay is much different, so I'm not sure why I'm worried. Most hay in the area is shipped in. The local guys tend to be the same price, but better quality, probably because of reputation.

Lace the goat is weird. I already knew she wasn't the brightest goat. And she isn't the nicest tempered goat. And she tends toward being high strung and headstrong, but this is downright weird. While I was filling water buckets she came over so she could LOUDLY talk over me, which is nothing new, but then when I stopped talking she went and found herself a bunch of cobwebs on the fence and ate them before walking off to the next post to find more. Yuck? She throws really pretty babies, so I wouldn't mind getting a doe kid out of her. Sounds like I'd better keep her away from poisonous spiders or she will eat their delicious homes and get bit. Not hay, goat.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Opened a cheese today. It's alright. Not dry like last time. Nice flavor, a little sharp. It melts.

My husband is glad I left the town Facebook page so I can't ask if everyone is eating their traditional New England July 4th snapping turtle soup this weekend... :hitI can't tell you how much I want to poke that tiger. Food history of areas is so fun, and even more fun when it would put bees in everyone's bonet.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also, I took the does and meat wethers out today (notice I said "meat wethers") and made them go to their wooded pasture. They ate a lot and then a storm started rolling in, and I almost lost Bailey out the gate in her "pre storm thunder" run around the yard that I knew dogs did but not her in the process of getting the goats back to the barn. So dog got shut in garage where she's currently pretending she does not exist while we (hopefully) get another blessing of a storm.

OH and Mr. Teddy babies are hatching in the incubator. It's just my old cheap digital plastic thing, so I'm no sure how the hatch rate is going to go, but 27 out of 30 made it to lock down. It often goofs up when the humidity climbs and lets the temp drop a bit, but we'll see. I have a broody silkie, maybe she needs a few.