rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I MADE A HAY BALE PULLEY TO GET THE BALES UP TO THE LOFT WITHOUT LIFTING THEM UP THE STAIRS!!!! It's redneck, and will need modifications, but I'm so happy!

The 2 new lamanchas (doeling and buckling) come on Saturday...which is tomorrow.

I went to my hay guy's place to look at hay. There's no 2nd yet, but I got 4 firsts and it's super nice, very leafy, and not much straw and the goats APPROVE so we're getting some bales delivered.

I discovered I'll need to redo my nigerian buck pen soon or we'll go above the 7% inbreeding quotient rule (don't buy two bucks that are loosely related and have another from that line, apparently). I can go up to 12%, but lower is better unless you're doing it on purpose, and someone offered me two extremely nice, extremely milky, correct uddered nigerian bucklings with different lineages to help with that, so I took them up on that. One is the last "Dawnland" kid, as the breeder sold out and sold a pregnant doe to the breeder I'm buying from.

Not sure when the last lamancha buckling is coming home. His family was going on vacation and using him as a doe emptier, so I'm waiting on an email.

My big lamancha buck is probably going to a new home this fall. His previous owner asked for him to stay in New England and I'm fine with that. I can take my herd more in my direction that way. And right before fall is a great time to move a buck to a new herd. He came here in a sheep sized box in the back of a truck. Now he weight tapes in at 185 pounds so I don't think he's leaving the way he came. He's a big ripped guy...and fat, because fat bucks is apparently how we roll around here...or maybe how THEY roll around here.

Pictures later. It feels like a bathtub out there today. More rain is coming. (hopefully?)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce , and I didn't block that lady because I'd rather know if she ever starts talking slander about me or my goats in public. It's a little twisted, but I'd rather be able to report her and get her booted from the group than have her start a conversation involving me without me. She's the kind of person to do that too. I'll just ignore her as weird and unhinged as she is for now. I don't think I've given her the opportunity but she is rather nuts and would do that. The moderators in the local groups delete her "comments" from posts on a regular basis so they know she's a live one.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If not enlightening, which by the way is very nice of you to say, as in very tactful; it sure has been an education. I am not ashamed of the Yankee roots I have, as my ancestors were hard working and very frugal independent people..... but I have never been so glad to get away from the liberal idiots that have taken over a good part of the northeast. Not everyone is like those in Mass.; but it is considered the worst state up there by the old blue collar, working, redneck, get your hands dirty, salt of the earth types, in the surrounding new england states.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
If not enlightening, which by the way is very nice of you to say, as in very tactful; it sure has been an education. I am not ashamed of the Yankee roots I have, as my ancestors were hard working and very frugal independent people..... but I have never been so glad to get away from the liberal idiots that have taken over a good part of the northeast. Not everyone is like those in Mass.; but it is considered the worst state up there by the old blue collar, working, redneck, get your hands dirty, salt of the earth types, in the surrounding new england states.
X100

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan , your ancestors (and a few of my husband's before they jumped ship for the "west") built the rock walls and cleared fields and fought off predators like wolves and tried to scrape together a farm. I'm pretty sure these guys in the last 30-50 years just fouled it up. It's definitely different groups in charge.
Those big pine trees we have here in this town that will randomly catistrophically fail and shatter- those were for forestry/timber farming and they were supposed to be cut down for wood at somethng like 30 years if the memory serves...but times changed, and the people living and in charge here now do not like forestry. They just want giant trees...with tiny by proportion, unhealthy root balls. Giant trees unsuited to being giant in this climate and soil. I feel like they are a good example of the change that took place. Frequently you are not allowed to cut down trees without the neighbors and town's and possibly even state's approval. That's a far cry from tree farming.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't believe you didn't give us pictures!
It's 90 degrees, and it was supposed to rain, so now it's a bathtub (just enough rain for the humidity). Tomorrow my hay comes, so there will be pictures then.
Here are the new buck and doe, Atlas and Trinka.
IMG_20200711_173913292.jpg
IMG_20200711_173927971.jpg

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @rachels.haven,

I have been off the forum for awhile and am just now getting caught back up.

Buck pregnancy is a lifelong condition (if they have anything to say about it) and require increased nutrition for support.

Buck pregnancy? BUCK PREGNANCY? :ep I have never heard of such a thing, which I guess isn't surprising. If things don't work out as Miss @farmerjan has discussed about being in the Guinness Book of World Records, then maybe to treat the condition you can buy for each buck a pickup truck and a set of hand tools and tell them to get to work!

I hatched silkies earlier from my birds, today I picked up polish from the post office.

Is "polish" in the sentence above referring to Poland, or is it intended similar in meaning as furniture polish or car polish?

A very puzzled Senile Texas Aggie