rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Husband survived the night, btw. Blue lips and lack of feeling in hands at 80-85 degrees really had me concerned but it all came back. I think he just got badly dehydrated/electrolytes off and tanked calorically, but man, he had me thinking cardiac arrest for a while there. Any chest pain and we would have been on the way to the hospital so fast.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad that he is okay. Dehydrating in this heat is really bad. I felt it a week ago and I have been doubly careful since. Worth it to me now to buy a 10 lb bag of ice and put in the cooler with extra water and even some sodas for sugar and caffeine... as well as the 4 bottles I carry in the little pouch type insulated bag I carry on the tractor. The water bottles I freeze half full, then add water to fill and they slowly thaw for me to drink when I am on the tractor. Try to carry some tea and other drinks too. I realize he can't do that but do you freeze the water/electrolytes like half bottles, then just add to fill? I started doing that because sometimes even just cool water isn't enough to get me to cool off enough; and I drink the cold water slower, so think it helps me more.
Just glad for all that he has recovered from it.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You sound well armed. Sugar (energy!), salt, water and ice are all your friends.
He doesn't freeze the water bottles. Unfortunately he goes through the bottles too fast on the hot rides. I can suggest it. I think he also needs more racks on his bike somehow or to go only when it's cool enough to not sweat so hard. It's ridiculous how much a person can sweat. His ultra light, road rash preventing, silly spandex bike clothes get HEAVY (Gross, gross, gross...but whatever). If he can get more water bottles on board and possibly half freeze them it may help. Not riding so hard may ALSO help, lol. This morning over breakfast he downed another quart flagon of water and was still down way more weight on the scale after than i should admit on his behalf because of water loss. Real weight loss doesn't happen that fast.

He will not be riding for the next few days. We have head advisories out and he doesn't ride when it's over 90. It's also supposed to rain after that and riding in the humidity over x degrees is brutal too because sweat doesn't work anymore as well and it kind of cooks him. And he's also going back to work tomorrow. That always curtails things a bit. He took a few days off after getting too close to hitting the wall/breaking point with his job and the ride was part of his "relaxing" and burning off stress. Emotionally he'd be worse off if he didn't do this, but physically he's pushing himself, so I'm not sure what to think. Exercise=good. Killing or almost killing oneself=bad.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sigh, that's what I tell him, but you can't change a man or a man's mind very well. I've said my piece, and he remembers, so now I've got to let him figure it out himself and let time prove me right (or wrong occasionally, lol) That's how our relationship usually goes in both directions since we're both fairly stubborn and determined but don't like conflict.
Last year he hairline fractured his shoulder on a rough patch of road shoulder because he gave a pushy car too much space. THAT he regretted. Hopefully he won't have to do something similar with heat exhaustion to come to the conclusion that fewer miles can equal consistently riding throughout the week=more fitness and more consistently feeling better from the stress relief. And if he doesn't, I hope he finds a system to cover his needs without thrashing himself like he did Saturday. I'm sure he'll figure something out, one way or another.
He's probably got the rest of the week to stew about the problem. It's HOT again.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does he have a Camelback type water pack? I prefer them to frame mounted water bottles, but you do sweat under them of course. They make some very low profile ones now.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
...come to think of it, I don't think we're anywhere far enough from the me saving them from themselves phase.
Sounds like those boys will age you to about 90 before they are old enough to leave home!

He only needed water..Wasn't asking for much. :old:tongue
And it was tap water from the bathroom for gosh sakes!

Maybe on those days doing fewer miles would be a better solution, because some riding is much better than no ride, and that is much, much better than lying flat of your back in bed wishing ya hadn't.... :)
Or maybe one ride in the morning and one in the evening, skipping the hottest part of the day.