rachels.haven's Journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good for you and for them. I think we will see another moderating warm up for awhile. I hope the other broody has a good hatch. If the 2 eggs you snuck under her hatch soon and the rest are delayed much, will you try to put the chicks under these 2 momma's? So the other hen doesn't quit the eggs too soon? I used to do that if someone would get a few eggs in "late" and then they were hatching out over the course of several days or a week. Some hens won't take strange chicks, but some are just "the more the merrier"... those hens are priceless.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those two are the last eggs that aren't golf balls in the nests, so we'll be done. I'm doing what I did with my Muscovy reproduction and limiting things. I think these silkies will take anything that peeps. They were trying to mother the month old ducklings, as big as they are (which made for very content ducks :lol:). My plan is to leave those two eggs if they hatch with the broody sitting on them, and moving them to the brooding coop with the others if it works out. No more chicks in theory.

Made cajeta today. Poured it into the jar boiling and sealed it, turned it over and the seal took after it stopped boiling and cooled. Wonder if it will last?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made this version.

There's another page with just a little bit about canning it.

Well, looks like as the non-visually impaired adult in the household I'd better get up on my wasp spraying game. There's a nest of bald faced hornets in the kids unused playset to spray before we can have an oil delivery. There's also a nest of yellow jackets nearby in my strawberry garden I should probably take out too. I didn't know where the baldfaced nest was, and honestly I didn't know the bald faced hornets were wasps. Everything's been really non-aggressive to me. They bump into me sometimes, but go away. They also get stuck to lights at night like flies or moths. They were pretty ticked at the oilman though.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Extra hay in the barn is always best. Never enough. Here DH and DS1 fight me over bringing in a full year's supply each summer. Hay prices are already $1/bale higher than when I asked DH to stock up. So annoying. We need more covered storage area for hay. DH prefers to work on his "retaining wall". This wall will not be as useful as covered hay storage but it keeps him busy. He needs to enjoy his retirement.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The retaining wall may increase the value of the house when you sell it and move to TX ;) Covered hay storage maybe not so much depending on if the buyer will have hay eating animals.

Latest posts