rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
...sometimes the men we live with are weird and stubborn. If I can, I try to let mine be themselves so I can watch them be the interesting animals they are-probably a little at their expense, I admit. They often still don't make sense in the end though, but who cares.:idunno Good luck changing them, lol (any of them..). Also, plenty of time to prepare for an emergency or concoct plan b if it applies to the situation.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
...sometimes the men we live with are weird and stubborn. If I can, I try to let mine be themselves so I can watch them be the interesting animals they are-probably a little at their expense, I admit. They often still don't make sense in the end though, but who cares.:idunno Good luck changing them, lol (any of them..). Also, plenty of time to prepare for an emergency or concoct plan b if it applies to the situation.
Haha, yup, weird and stubborn. On fixing stuff, mine uses duct tape, super glue and a hammer. I just hope he's not doing so much damage that I can't undo it when he's not around.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS sent me a text this morning, asking if I could rake the rest of the hay today. Now, I told him yesterday, that I had to go to the farm in Winchester... 2+ hours - 125 miles away - and they start before 1p.m. so I have to leave no later than 10:30.... okay, so he can't remember????? But he did say .... this is for the record books....... "can u rake the rest of the hay today? Gonna bale it tomorrow. Rain on Friday, just like you said...." OMG..... Of course, he didn't remember the part of I was going to be gone all day today.... or that it is ALL RAKED but the last 5 rows he had cut just on monday eve and told me not to rake on tuesday..... gotta love them whether they are sons or spouses or siblings or .....
And no I am not perfect... sometimes I don't listen to what he says either....of course, usually I have a good reason to not listen.... like I already know what I am going to do and will do it better than what he is telling me....:lol::gig:gig

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't say or judge anything about anyone else in BYH, btw. Only my husband and sons. My kids have little to no self preservation instincts or are crazy hyper and are always getting into trouble and my husband has his late stage glaucoma and pupil issues and while he's brilliant at abstract concepts like programming, music, encyclopedia, and every college level math type subject to the point it could make you feel inferior if you got him talking but didn't actually know him, he has to learn all physical world knowledge the hard way...sometimes to the point of absurdity or endangering himself (and he has little patience for that kind of trial either). Most of the time I let him figure it all out on his own and forget his vision loss, but occasionally I need to step in and keep things safe or find things. But I prefer to enjoy them all being themselves even if it's silly.

I do have some areas I exercise my wifely "power". Husband is not allowed on roofs over 8' tall though (6' preferably) and ladders over 3' due to past close calls that logically shouldn't have been near misses. Depth perception and full field of vision do occasionally matter in life. Also, no chainsaws for him. I think I've also forbidden him from trying to learn to fly helicopters, lol, but somehow I doubt he'd even have the inclination to try with how he feels about driving normal vehicles. I'm pretty sure he77 for him would be having to drive a truck and back a trailer through a gate or having to become a semi driver. Small vehicles and good visibilities and/or backup cameras for him. (I also prefer to drive at night if we're staying off the interstate style roads and to do as much of our driving as possible period, but that may be more my issue than his.)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is not being said in a critical or smart a$$ way... but your husband sounds like he is brain smart and practical dumb.... like really smart people that have all this knowledge, and no common sense..... Have an uncle like that... not a lick of common sense but very very smart.....and the man I used to farm sit for, that now is passed away....he could tell you stuff that was WAY OVER MY HEAD and PAY SCALE (LOL) but he didn't have the common sense to walk the sheep along the fenceline to get them up to the gate.... or understand that they needed certain kinds of care, like worming, because he thought they should just be "natural"...... just not an OUNCE of common sense.... hes was a nice man, little different as most all really smart people are, but just didn't have any practical knowledge of stuff that I just take for granted.... guess that is why he had tons more money than I have too.....:rolleyes::idunno😉

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depth perception and full field of vision do occasionally matter in life.
I wouldn't know ;) I've never had depth perception and never will. Didn't have full field of vision until I was 50 years old and even with that one eye is not fully focused. But that is a LOT better than only having GROSS color and motion in the non focused eye.

On the other hand, I don't have glaucoma or pupil issues.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
After my accident in 1989, I lost some of my depth perception.... it is annoying but I can compensate most of the time. Cannot imagine how you managed @Bruce for so long. I do mostly have full vision.....it scares me to think of ever losing my vision.... one of the reasons I make it a point of having a once a year eye checkup....