rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
We moved here for DH's job. That's it. We've been here since Feb of 2018.
If we can prepare over the winter I'd like to move in the spring after kidding and numbers decreasing (kidding will be early this year). Not for sure where we're going yet, but where ever we go we will be a lot more careful next time.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Eastern Tn is nice, more humid. Way down southwestern Va near the border is nice, but if still in Va then dealing with this idiot Gov Northam.... luckily a gov can only serve one term in Va. NC western mountain area is nice. I am a Yankee and would not go back now for love or money. This house I bought is nice, will be a good investment, but last night I could hear the interstate and was not very happy.... it is not going to be my forever home.... even with all that I am doing... I am thinking that maybe get it done and start looking again in another year. If son stays with this gf, I need a life of my own.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got 30 bales of "usable" hay from a farther away feed store another goat keeper recommended in Salem, NH. I have put away 15 of the bales in my spare time and have found two moldy ones, so I guess I'll stick to the farmers exchange in townsend, ma until they're gone. More pricey still, but usually they are very selective about the hay they resell and will be happy to credit you bales. Townsend does like light loose bales for the avoidance of mold issue. That can get annoying, but mold is worse.

I don't want to drive 45 minutes to Salem with angry kids in the van, so I'm not going to ask about crediting the bales, plus the other bales in the delivery feel a bit off texture/moisture wise, maybe a little damp or cold anyway (but still short term edible), maybe slightly greasy but the goats say they are good at least and I don't have a way to bring them back (and again, the goats are eating them with gusto they just won't be for long term storage). The moldy bales had black or yellow spots on the side. I will be on the lookout for that as I cut strings. I need something to mulch my fig trees when I lay them down to earth anyway, I guess, and while it seems a waste, a bag of mulch isn't that different in price than the two wasted bales. A little frustrating, but I get to cross that place off my list of options.

Time to feed kids and slip off to TSC to pick up a curbside order of alfalfa pellets before my 10% seasonal reward expires. It's something I guess, and they like the pellets.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brr. Snow is coming this week. The little silkies are for the most part growing well. I've noticed one or two from each batch fail to thrive and eventually pitter out, but that's what you get with fancy chickens. Goats are fine. Ducks are duckin. Bailey is herself, lonely, and always trying to push the rules, but still doing her job.
The snow will probably not stick or stay long, imo. It's still in the 50's much of the time.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brr. Snow is coming this week. The little silkies are for the most part growing well. I've noticed one or two from each batch fail to thrive and eventually pitter out, but that's what you get with fancy chickens. Goats are fine. Ducks are duckin. Bailey is herself, lonely, and always trying to push the rules, but still doing her job.
The snow will probably not stick or stay long, imo. It's still in the 50's much of the time.
Winter is coming. It never got above 50 here today. Misting drizzle for the last 2 days. I don't think I would like your winter!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, me neither. I learned how to drive in the snow on the unplowed streets around Metro Detroit so I have mobility, but snow season is still a very sadistic season where cold, frozen water sticks to you and re freezes instead of rolling off or soaking in. I hate it. Cold, snow, ice, all out the window as terrible inventions.

And freaking frozen shower hair....