rachels.haven's Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Naughty!

My first as DD1 - 7lbs. 4 ounces, second DS1 9lbs. 8 ou., DS2 8b. 6 ou. and DS3 was a 10 month baby (induced 3 times) weighting in at 9 bs. 14 ou. I feel your pain and applaud your decision to have him early. I had a friend whose 3 children all arrived at the 8th month, and all well over 9 lbs.!

After DS1, DH assured everyone that I "breezed through" a excruciating 10 hour labor where he got stuck on THAT NERVE - yes, ladies the one they warn us about. Every cuple hours the nurses would come in and "prep" me for an "emergency" C-section as I became delirious with pain and tried to pull off the oxygen mask. Each time someone arrived at the hospital and took my "emergency" C-section spt. Finally after 3 women got MY C-section, DS1 shifted position just in time to have a natural birth leaving me wrung out and torn badly.

DH then proceeded to invite all our friends and relatives to come see the baby which he proudly held, while I served coffee. Both DS1 and I were sickly for several months. With the next 2 babies I announced that my doctor had forbidden any visitors for the first 3-4 weeks. This worked and I was able to get back on my feet faster. LOL Sadly, DD1 and DDIL1 did not take my advice. DD1 even came home from her C-section a day or two early because she "missed" her first child. With her 3rd child she attempted to stay longer, but they had cut back the days allowed in hospital. She missed the boat there.

I love all my babies but I really enjoyed having the nurses take care of them in the nursery since I knew when I got home it would be all on me.

You need to go to bed and tell DH and the kids that the doctor ordered you back to bed for bed rest after your foolish 3 hour stint in the kitchen! For some reason the "doctor's orders' routine works better with men than you passing out on the floor in front of them! :lol:

Be careful! Gorgeous baby! Great family!

Too bad about goat abortion - auction time asap.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
ugh. Got 12+ inches of fat, wet snowflakes after a night of rainfall and the temp is dropping for the next few days. Time to plug in heated buckets and put on my big girl snow pants, boots, and crampons again.

The woods are very loud tonight with all the tree branches and white pines randomly snapping under the weight and the dog is unsettled. It's like random gunshots followed by...well, tree falling noises. This is when I get to stare at that giant pine next to our house and wonder if we should have spent the couple thousand and had it removed before it falls on the house and causes more than that cost in home destruction. Luckily it had a hard year (??) and is not lushly needled at the moment so the snow is falling off it rather than bending branches to the ground or pulling the whole tree over

Yucky wet New England snow...would prefer the sub freezing sandy stuff.
DH took mercy on us this year and we will not be shoveling our own excessively long personal driveway (if I ever build a house in snow territory it will be near the road, I assure you). The plow truck is coming.

...so, anybody want a care package of wet snow?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Being a southern Californians, born and bred, DH and I always used to wonder why homes in midwest farm country were built right on the roadways. Eventually we realized that if you needed to go anywhere you had to plow your own driveway and often the country road you lived on! Here we worry about heat stroke and fire season, Florida and the Gulf have hurricanes, snow country has its own hazards!

Don't you dare try to dig out your driveway yourself!!! :hugs

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
...yes, @Ridgetop , I believe you've got it figured out.
The plow truck dug us out.
Dog had to be locked up for incessantly barking at falling trees (yes, they ARE a threat, but NO they don't care). Looks like the fence mostly escaped injury (one bow fell on it by the front gates, bent the wire). I'll look at that later.
We don't have to go anywhere so no idea what the road conditions are, but hey, that storm could have been worse.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I received a stroke of luck this morning. I came out this morning to find Lace, my lamancha that used to have two scur-horns and a bad attitude, with her head stuck in the fence by her remaining scur. So I took the opportunity while she was immobile to band the scur and tape over the band so she can't scrape it off. Fingers crossed this one works and the root gets killed back to her head so this scur mess can be over. She was just starting to use it as a horn again on the other goats, so getting stuck in the fence was a good thing. Hopefully she also quits scraping the stain off the barn with it too, lol. Always fix your disbuddings even if you're going to sell them, especially on does. I'm selfishly glad the scurs aren't the result of my work.

The one I banded off earlier I'm very happy with. It is just barely starting to regrow, but it is thin, normal scur material rather than scur-horn, also it is very slow growing. She won't be using it as a weapon or getting stuck by it as it's more like fingernail instead of HORN.

...and I unstuck her from the fence when I was done banding it in case you were wondering. I almost forgot that part. :weee