rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
It got up to 45 for, like, three days. I saw the first one (you know, the one I couldn't believe seeing) on day two. Too bad they don't freeze like they logically should. It's going down tonight for us too.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dang. Yesterday evening the wind started picking up until it grew to a constant roar. It's still roaring today. Supposedly the low today was supposed to be 22. I woke up and while it said that, the actual was 12. So... when does the low start?! Now it's up to 20 (w/ windspeed of 20mph).
I started the nigerian doelings on coccidia prevention. Baycox today, then starting a daily dose of calf-pro in a bottle tomorrow.
Summer bashed me in the jaw with her head when I tried to put her on the stand because I made the mistake of feeding her first before checking to see if I need to even up her udder. No chewing today, I guess. I may have wimpy punched her back, it hurt so much I couldn't see straight and couldn't figure out what was bleeding (maybe a little bit of my tongue, no matter though). Not making that mistake again.
Not much more to report. I'll be starting the lamancha doelings' coccidia program at 2 weeks when I separate nightly.
Oh man, I think I want to sell Emi. I love that goat, but I am NOT milking an udder with no teat definition. I feel so guilty.
I also have a cold. It's been a year since I got sick, but on Saturday we left the house on our real estate shenanagans so why not? Aw well.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks.
Well, someone came in and offered way above asking price for the house, so I guess we're back to casually looking. This is so much better than "you have 4 weeks to move you and your family (and animals) down here" that it was last time. And maybe there's still a chance we'll leave the state.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today I milked Lavender-the goat I said I'd rather eat than milk again. I'd been leaving her kid out at night to nurse full time instead of separating him with the rest of the little bucks so I can milk their moms because Lav's teats were almost microscopic, but he didn't want to be left out of the kid stall and would cry at the door for his friends so I started separating him too and letting him back in with mom first thing for the last week. Well, Lavender decided she WAS going to be included in milking last night. She was empty, but I figured what the heck? Well, this morning she still insisted and so I decided to dink around and try to milk her. Her teats are now about a centimeter long-just a bit longer than the width of my finger so I can milk her now. I got about two cups. And she's happy. Whatever goat. Apparently the separating stretched those teats a bit and she wants to be dairy.

Lady, our nubian is starting on her udder. She has 3-4 inch teats already and the globe part is coming in. She weight tapes in at 200 lbs (then ooo, out of weight tape!) and has no intention of getting on the stand so this might get interesting. I've been (wo)manhandling her onto the stand and while I can do it, it's not sustainable. Wrestling a big goat makes you sore. So I guess I'll try some conditioning and lots of cookies. She. Needs. Her. Feet. Done. The last few times I put her up there I did her feet or there was an ultrasound machine. I can get her onto the nigerian stand but that looks really funny and might break it in the long run.

Trinka is also just barely starting to udder, but I got her as a 4 month old kid, and not an untrained adult, so she loves the stand and I'm not as worried about her training.

This is the year of first fresheners, can't you tell?