rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today's Dan-shenanagans. Other than a stuffed toy taking a dive into a bag of charcoal no disasters were had. (Poor stuffed Mario, off to the washer.)
IMG_20210304_225030355.jpg
IMG_20210304_231445127.jpg
IMG_20210304_231446170.jpg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Progress was made on Lady the Nubian's stand manners. Now she comes out of the stall, waits for me to take her collar, lays her 200lbs down on the ground and acts like she's dying (not being pulled, I just hold that collar), then she oozes herself across the barn floor to the nigerian stand, I reach down like I'm going to pull her feet onto the stand one by one but as of this morning she puts them on herself one by one AS IF I'm pulling them onto the stand, then she oozes her head over to the grain, still crawling and stands up. This is much less labor intensive but um...kind of dramatic. :th

Apparently she wasn't handled much at her dairy home. She is ridiculous. Good tempered, but ridiculous. I'm hoping she comes around and starts acting like a goat soon. I guess I can humor her for now. :idunno

I do need to sell the nigerians. Milking those small teats is giving me carpal tunnel. I need to do it or I will trash my hands. I don't really want to milk by machine-expensive and labor intensive cleanup. I'd rather just have the big girls.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brief report.
My test hatch of silkies on a new incubator I bought under the radar is starting to hatch. I'm not sure how they'll do. My two backup incubators have been reading lower than the thermostat one consistently so it's up to 101 on the thermostat and the inside ones are reading 98ish. I'm not going higher than that in case it warms up and the thermostat kicks it up. I need chick starter now.

The coyote parties have been coming very close lately. Last night at 4:30 am Bailey started going bananas in the barn where DH locks her up (she likes to trash talk with the neighbors' lab all night over the hill otherwise-and that dog is LOUD and the neighbor was a bit of a cowardly jerk christmas before last about it). So we went out armed with bat, bearspray, airhorn, and high powered light fearing the worst then let her bark at coyotes and shut them up until she went to the lab trashtalk place and we put her up again. The goats have been upset during milking. I hate that. Bailey may get to sleep in the doe pen tonight. A few of the goats want to fight with her when ever I try but and she wouldn't mind getting too physical with them so we'll have to see how it goes. It might be fine and a good solution.

Things are melting and going to ice out there.

No more leads on moving the farm (Tennessee instead?)

DH wants me to find a second dog because Bailey is lonely (any dog even that could come out and play daily, even a non lgd). I'm still scared stiff of dog breeders after the last time I had fun buying a dog, but maybe someday we'll get something small, with a soft temperament. I would not mind a less "intelligent", less independent thinking, more normal, happy go lucky dog either, but man...that was a multi ring circus of trouble I don't care to repeat. So here we sit, with a lonely dog. Better than the alternative. I need to just remind her how she slept for a week and how happy she was not to be frantically attacked by the giant (beautiful) cognitively failing puppy. And DH too.

DH is working late, hoping to be able to work remote tomorrow and not have to go in again for the foreseeable future. At some point when the baby is willing I need to make dinner. Thinking of trying my hand at some GF crepes and hoping the kids will eat them. Or maybe I should save it for the bedtime battle I may be spearheading and see if our pizza place feels like delivering 15 minutes away tonight or not (yep, that's how "rural" we are, lol).

...just me with a tot in my lap, while the big boys get their computer time, alone to my thoughts.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH wants me to find a second dog because Bailey is lonely (any dog even that could come out and play daily, even a non lgd). I'm still scared stiff of dog breeders after the last time I had fun buying a dog, but maybe someday we'll get something small, with a soft temperament. I would not mind a less "intelligent", less independent thinking, more normal, happy go lucky dog either, but man...that was a multi ring circus of trouble I don't care to repeat. So here we sit, with a lonely dog.
Doesn't quite fit the last part of your description but Morgan Gold (Gold Shaw Farm on YouTube) got a good Maremma pup from Maine. He's getting Toby's half sister in the near future.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love my Anatolians! I do love my Great Pyrenees, Trip and Paris, but now that I have Anatolians, I won't have GP's again. A couple of months ago, Trip started going over the front gate, so we wired rebar extensions to it and raised the height with 2 feet of chicken wire. It looks like crap, but now I see him standing there studying, probably wondering if he can jump that...... Paris can squeeze through the smallest hole like a weasel.

My Anatolians don't jump out, Sentry can't even stand on his hind legs, courtesy of bad hips, unscrupulous breeder and surgery to correct one side. Sheba can stand up against the gate, but so far shows no inclination to jump over it. Their coats are SO much easier to maintain. They are more stubborn than the GP's, Sheba still thinks it ridiculous that I want her to sit and wait when I put her food bowl down. LOL