rachels.haven's Journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I still think that the chicken house could be salvaged. With the price of lumber and such, you will spend as much to build a 30 x 30 small barn as there is good timber in that barn. Why can't they take out the concrete on the 2nd floor? Maybe you need to have a few other estimates for it. I am sorry, none of my business really, but I see alot of potential there and after being in a few, and not seeing any obvious roof problems in any of the pictures you've shown, I cannot believe that the cost of taking out the concrete and putting in even a half way floor for now, to hold hay and such, would not be a better solution.

I realize that you are not wanting to jeapordize your family or anyone. I was married to a carpenter many years ago, and know alot of things that can be done to salvage older buildings. And honestly, I see more structural questions with the machine shed and the way it is leaning than I see in the chicken house.

Nice property, typical new england.... is that an apple or a dogwood flowering in the one picture?? It will be nice for you to not have to deal with the stupidness of the place you are now....

Congrats....I am happy for you and hopefully this will make things better for you and all around more harmony in the family. When momma's happy, everyone's happy.....!!!!!!:yesss::highfive::jumpy:clap:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:weee:celebrate:bunny:bunny:bunny:yesss:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I still think that the chicken house could be salvaged. With the price of lumber and such, you will spend as much to build a 30 x 30 small barn as there is good timber in that barn. Why can't they take out the concrete on the 2nd floor? Maybe you need to have a few other estimates for it. I am sorry, none of my business really, but I see alot of potential there and after being in a few, and not seeing any obvious roof problems in any of the pictures you've shown, I cannot believe that the cost of taking out the concrete and putting in even a half way floor for now, to hold hay and such, would not be a better solution.

I realize that you are not wanting to jeapordize your family or anyone. I was married to a carpenter many years ago, and know alot of things that can be done to salvage older buildings. And honestly, I see more structural questions with the machine shed and the way it is leaning than I see in the chicken house.

Nice property, typical new england.... is that an apple or a dogwood flowering in the one picture?? It will be nice for you to not have to deal with the stupidness of the place you are now....

Congrats....I am happy for you and hopefully this will make things better for you and all around more harmony in the family. When momma's happy, everyone's happy.....!!!!!!:yesss::highfive::jumpy:clap:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:weee:celebrate:bunny:bunny:bunny:yesss:
Actually, the roof is under supported and is coming down according to the structural engineer. I may sniff around a little and see if anyone will get back to me on restoration but contractors at the moment (always here?) are in hot demand so they can pick their jobs so I'm not sure anyone will return calls. To fix the structural stuff the engineer gave us a rough guestimate in the $100k's. Honestly I wouldn't mind chopping the building in half (back half that I did not photograph has the foundation breaking up and sliding down the hill), taking out the cement floor, reroofing, adding the appropriate doors, sistering all the joists and replacing the rotten posts, but the guy seemed to think even tearing down and building an identical structure would be less expensive and difficult than a restore and his specialty was supervising the restoring old barns and outbuildings. But whatever. I like barns. I still like that one. The neighbor said he may have some contacts in the industry, so I may have a sliver of a chance at getting an estimate.
I like the goofy machine shed too, but I think it's going to blow down soon (or a goat could push it down). Its foundation looks better but that's not a lot to save so that beast is probably going to go either way.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_20210504_075640827.jpg

IMG_20210504_075705675.jpg

IMG_20210504_075833091.jpg

IMG_20210504_075845522.jpg

IMG_20210504_075939572.jpg

I'll look into restoration. (Not going upstairs, but here are more pics)

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would at least clarify, in writing, with whomever you end up hiring to fix/demolish the barn what is going on happen with the wood. Lumber is very pricey right now, and there are a lot of people who like doing projects with reclaimed barn wood, so make sure they aren't screwing you over to line their own pockets.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good thinking.
I have a company in mind for a rebuild that has done every barn I've seen in Groton, including our current one. I'm pretty sure they'd discard the wood.
My husband suggests we take the structural engineer's advice and not put anything living in that barn. Me...I need a few more days to stew about it(although as I type...I should probably listen too).

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would really see what the neighbor comes up with as far as names. Honestly, If you could see what some around here use as barns, that is in very good shape. If it were mine I would move my animals into the downstairs and then start jacking up.... and if that little bit of cracks is what they call a problem, then they are really trying to get a new barn job.... that is in better shape than many I see around here and is alot more fixable than some places where they use the barn every day. But that is me....
Yes the price of lumber is through the roof.... and old wood like that is also "full" sized lumber... 2x4's are 2" x 4"... not the crap they have nowadays. Do not let them trash it into a dumpster if you do go and take it down.
Same goes for the machine shed.... and I would look that over very good too....

People nowadays are SOOO ready to tear things down.... and they have probably stood there for 50 or more years...

I realize pictures do not show everything, but I would not hesitate if it was mine to use it and make some decisions about the upper cement floor. I see no rot on any of the posts... and putting one along side the ones already there, on the concrete would solve that problem in a minute. Wish I had one like that here....