rachels.haven's Journal

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you set up cameras and maybe a decibel meter? To prove when the dog is/is not barking and how loud? That should help your case if you can prove the neighbors are being unreasonable in their reports. Might be able to prove they are filing false complaints and that they are harassing you?

Maybe ask them nicely to contact you first instead of calling animal control. If they keep being jerks start calling the county on them? I'll bet there's something on their property not permitted or against code. Might not be the best advice but my knee jerk reaction to someone messing with my animals is scorched earth response.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know that you just got there.... but really, isn't there anywhere else the company can transfer your husband to???? CAN'T he work from home so you can go to a FARM ANIMAL friendly place???? MASS people are total IDIOTS....

I hate barking dogs.... but I get the reason you have her... she does not just bark for hours on end....for no reason...

Do you not have receipts from sale of other animals at the other place that can transfer to this property for the income requirements? Haven't you sold a few goats already?
DAM# I wish I had a solution.

NOW you know why I am out of the insanity of NEW ENGLAND... and I am a born and bred Yankee with roots in CT that family that came over on the Mayflower..... founding families in CT.....

Like the idiot next door to DS property that was so against the cell tower and is now trying to go back to the restrictive covenants to go after him on his property.... FIND things to be able use against them if you have to down the road....you need amunition that is in your backup file.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Turns out the town govt is a mess and there is no agricultural committee or officer right now, so i can't register as a farm even if I'd made x dollars here and there will be no mediation if the neighbors go after me-which they are.
But I'll figure this out. There's got to be a way.
Mass-the something hole state.
No, I am stuck in this state. I'd tried getting us to move out of state and the best I could get was Townsend. I wonder if this will be the time we lawyer up and get stuck going to court.
Meanwhile, bears are ransaking coops like crazy around town, so much so that the farmer's exchange has started selling all the electric fence stuff you need (if you have animals in this state and a bear or coyote bothers you, you will not be helped, but if you have animals and have electric fence, maybe they will help you rather than blaming you). This idiocy is excessive.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd like that. A lawyer may be more suited to the agricultural officer role based on my location and people's attitudes though, and definitely someone with a more put together appearance. I am technically a college dropout (with great grades, in my defense, I just met my husband 8+ years ago while I was switching schools for a more agricultural related major). But I am a nobody. I'm also terrible at public speaking-as in during meetings or if there was a dispute. People would not take me seriously. During migraines I even get a stutter. It's best I stay nobody except for in writing. Unfortunately people just can't seem to leave me alone. This state makes it so hard to control pests and predators, and now "officials" don't even want me to use the supposedly allowed route. What an anti farming "right to farm" place...

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's 1 pm. I jut finished stuffing goats and Bailey in panel pens I built in the unsafe building and now there are coyotes barking away IN my pasture. She doesn't bark at nothing. I was worried the creepy things wouldn't let me get back to the house. I need my dog to WORK for the time being.
She likes time off though so as soon as we get a barn built I do want to put everyone away in stalls with her in the alley again.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My neighbors don't care if the dogs bark. 6 places back up to one of our side fences, or about 2 acres each. They go berserk if any of the neighbors dare to walk, talk, BBQ, or do any of normal living in their own yards. Lawn mowers or power equipment run the dogs over the edge. Most of the neighbors have met the dogs and like them. Since the dogs love to run to the front to bark and race up and down the fence, we are know as the "people with the big dogs."