rachels.haven's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, I've "discussed" this NE issue with DH already.
I don't think it is a universal problem in all of New England.

Yes, you need to go commercial. What super annoying breeds of farm animals could you raise?
Peafowl!!! Those tail feathers are expensive and during mating season the cocks will drive you crazy with their calls ;)

Here you can get "current use" tax breaks for ag stuff but you need to have 25 contiguous acres plus the 2 acre "homestead" site. We have about 26 acres.

We did not ask, but there is the whole "offensive sights, smells, and sounds" clause
What about your neighbor's offensive fat ass and their loud stinky farts?

Nothing new about city people moving to farm country then complaining about farm sounds and smells.

The dog is not legally allowed to bark at anything outside of the fence
WTF. OK, please tell me that NO dog in the entire town ever barks at anything outside its property lines. Animal control better pick up every last dog in the city. Plenty of people on our road have dogs that bark at everyone who walks by.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
That law sounds like one of those selectively enforced ones. Basically if someone doesn't like you they can get you. The stupidest part is that the aco tried to justify it by saying Bailey is an adult and should know better. Just like how LGD's don't bark, only attack and dispatch, my adult dog spends hours a day going through Massachusetts layer after layer of ancient and modern lasagna laws. She can read too. Somebody might be a dangerous idiot. Apparently it's not Bailey. She is well aware of such things.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
THEY ARE ALL SELECTIVE IDIOTS.......

Tell him that Bailey DOES KNOW BETTER.... she is enforcing the LGD code of behavior that says she is SUPPOSED to bark at ANY THREAT to the livestock under her protection.... and barking is her way to inform the coyotes of their rights.... they have the right to stay off the property, if they do not do so, they are subject to anything that comes after them, and said owner/protector has a right to any method to be used against them in a manner with due force to protect the innocent livestock.

See she is doing her due dilligence......informing the trespassers of their breech of the property boundaries....

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Woah. Now that was awesome. 😎 Hopefully I won't have to.

I'm putting this here in my journal so I can check back on it later. Feel free to ignore. I think I need a side shot so I can make sure the angle isn't dramatically changing day to day...
Deciding how urgent it is.
Barn foundation is piled up boulder rocks with concrete over it. This wall is thicker, some parts are very thin with dirt coming through/sunken in. After hanging out with this building I don't think cement likes rocks any bigger than a fist if it does at all. Meh. I guess I won't build buildings like that in the future.

IMG_20210615_160806329.jpg

IMG_20210615_160810408.jpg

I've got large sheds on order and am waiting waiting in a call from the barn people.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like that.
I also want this one above my front door (but that's a bag of grain for vanity, so I'm holding off)

This is also fun. (And expensive.)

I'll stop being a misanthrope once I get out of here, but for now, that is how it is. I just want people to be courteous and respectful enough to leave me alone and they don't seem to be able to do that.

Maybe I'll ask my mother for some lady geese...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have read this with eye popping annoyance at those neighbors and laws! I live in VA and it is a farming state. My neighbors are great. Only a couple of us have farm animals in close proximity but, mostly everyone is ok. Surely my roosters are heard. Far enough to have no issues with milk goat noises. At this time, no dogs to bark but neighbors do. I hear the neighbor donkeys bray on occasion...it's all good.

Even the occasional escapees are well tolerated by the locals, although drive by are concerned. We work it out. Everyone along this little community, on this road, is both tolerant and considerate for the most part.

Just so sad that people live in farm animal territory & expect caged gerbil activity. :he

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know. The whole thing just makes me homesick. I'd love to go home-out of here and back to sanity. It makes me miss waking up every morning and killing rat after giant rat in the Detroit suburbs(yay.) There is not a lot of connection to reality in this area. I'd love to move near to my parents in TN, but mostly I'd like to get out of someone else's fantasy land that I keep getting punished for disrupting. Making people mad is not my favorite, especially not crazy controlling people that don't want their paradigm messed with (although I could probably live with crazy if their paradigm extended to only their property because what other people do in their space is their business).

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
No call from the barn people. Typical. Why did I expect differently? Rude. I have another lead I can try-a metal barn company. They can be nice too.
Today a large section of the fence catastrophically failed and now the goats are stuck in the barn. Fence people say they will be here week after next. We bothered them about this weeks ago. Meanwhile my buck pen that I built is doing great.
Shelters are being built now. I am waiting on the delivery setup call. Then I will put up tiny pens around them and start feeding out $12/bale hay and $15/bag pellets as if we have no pasture.
House open house and offer deadline did not go great. 1998 house got called "vintage" and "not updated" also that the barn was unwanted maintenance. Barn was fine and will continue to be fine with no attention. House seemed fine to me-ac, heat, good carpet and nice hardwood. I guess the windows were old?...We got one very lowball offer and turned it down. Now we'll just do a routine waiting for an offer kind of sale.

Today I also decided that I am done with this area so more instability may be coming soon.

Latest posts