rachels.haven's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
A barn like that, allowed to go to ruin. The previous owners ought to be placed in pig mud up to their necks, wearing a cow plop hat.
Except that they most likely didn't have a hundred thousand or two to fix it.

Any chance it is covered in your homeowners policy?
No way, no insurance company would insure a building in that shape. Our barns are the same though not quite falling down.

except it helped us more, as the market kept rising
And your old house had a nice barn :D

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think ignorance and bad, unconsulted diy did the barn in.
Yeah, things aren't great, but we're still rolling along.
I don't miss the deerflies. I don't miss sitting in the barn during milking listening to the loud clouds of mosquitoes waiting to get bit through my jeans or hat (and they HURT). I don't miss numerous deer ticks. Despite it all we have seriously upgraded in the pestilence department.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a new barn builder lead today. My horse neighbor told me to call her barn builder-just to do it. He's supposedly available in a few months, that she'd just spoken to him about us for me. Maps lists him as closed, so we didn't do it before. So today I left a call and a text and now I'm hoping and praying and hoping. :fl

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today we moved the milk stands, the grain, the panels, and the chicken feed out of the barn. The hay, the garden tools, and the alfalfa pellets will be next. I'll be milking under the back deck. It's set up so water that goes though the deck goes onto a metal roof material piece, into a gutter by the house, then channelled away so the milkstand stuff and I won't get wet. Very molding in that building.
Spoke with neighbor recommended barn builder. Told me to expect an estimate next week followed by a time to come out and look at our soil. When I have the estimate I think we'll get the demo arranged. After all the yuck, spore clouds, and mushrooms...I think I'm at peace with it.

Last edited:

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @rachels.haven,

I finally have caught up on your journal again after my having been off the forum for awhile.

You are probably too young to having heard the old Buck Owens' song "Act Naturally". (BTW, the Beatles did a version of that song as well.) But I kept thinking of that song and how it applies to you. It is not about you being lonely, though. Instead, I was thinking of you being cast as the lead in the next Wonder Woman movie. Forget Lynda Carter and Gal Gadot. You will put them all to shame. And all you have to do is Act Naturally. I got that idea from all of what you have accomplished in the months I was gone! Whew!

It so warmed my heart when two of my favorite people on the forum, namely you and Miss @B&B Happy goats, were able to help each other out by her sending to you the dog Moses. Then you had the big move, and now having all the fun of adjusting to your new place, with the barn falling down and the fun you are having with your neighbors. Yet somehow you seem to take it all in stride. You truly do Act Naturally. :bow

So I am so glad to now be up-to-date with you and your journal. Thanks for letting all of us come along for the ride.

Senile Texas Aggie

In case you don't know the song and are interested, here is Buck Owens singing "Act Naturally":