rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aw, thank you @Senile_Texas_Aggie . I'll do my best to act naturally.
I have a great vet. Yesterday I found Dignity, Eri, my one mature dwarf doe's daughter laying in the hay under a rack looking floppy. I took her into the garage and she hada 107.5 temp. I worked with the vet over text and we got it down to 104 with meds on hand, no cost to me and little cost in time to her. Fingers crossed. She's a very nice nigerian doeling (with the typical nigerian attitude unfortunately). Goat body temp should be 102-103, so 104 isn't awful. More antibiotic, banamine, and b12 for her today. My baby was also being crabby, and I needed to make dinner, but somehow it all got done (including a bonus of DH installing a couple of window units to tide us over until we get our splits/mini splits installed).

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol, thanks.
Now how to I miracle the fence back up and a barn in?

I have chickens coming down with neurological symptoms so yesterday DH was incredibly kind to me, took off work halfway through the day, and we took a live ailing chicken down (up.) to Durham, NH to NHVDL to be put down and autopsied to check for marek's. We went to NewCastle Beach in NH along the way home. It was a nice, quiet, for children beach (so, of course DH swam out deep and got his feet cut up on rocks coming back, and my older son didn't swim out deep and did the same, lol, time for beach shoes, I guess). No sign of Marek's would be nice, but I've decided I WILL be okay/numb either way. We had a nice beach day.

I took Dignity up to the vet's house on her day off for a quick look over so we can switch her to Bio-myacin instead of agri-cillin because her fever is not going lower than 104-105. I will be ordering my own new bottle of both. I have the best vet and I don't know how I got so blessed. She only charged me $26 for the visit and full syringes. (and she has the best dairy cross doe and boer cross doelings, that she showed off. One is so dappled she looks like she is covered in python skin and they are all so, so wide, tenki, and pretty)

Come on Dignity! I am secretly (now not so secretly) keeping a few dwarves still because even though he hasn't detectably lost more vision yet, at some point my husband will lose his drivers' license. I would like to have small goats to fall back on because no matter how hard it is and no matter what he says at that point I'd like to move us to a place where there is good public transportation, and I feel like tiny doe goats and a semen tank are my best bet. I may be saying goodbye to stock animals completely at that point, but a girl can dream. Independence is important. He's spoiling and indulging me now (or trying to). I'd like to return the favor.

But I am being very, very selective on dwarves. I have Eri, her daughter, and one of Sugar's babies from the Ava line named Jarah (and 3 bucks). I'd like to lean hard into the Old Mountain Farm Ram-Beau and Sugar Moon lines that are available to me here. Hopefully they will produce things that will meet my expectations.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
*snort* might be Promised land Ramb-beau. I can't keep my nigerians straight (the good nigie herds are GREAT at marketing, lol). It feels like there's a new hottie herd every year. I'm trying to go for good temperament, sound build, high production with teats at least as long as my thumb, and as good conformation as I can get in that package.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another hot day.
IMG_20210717_144758329_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Mo is in the harness of shame to go with the flexi lead of shame because he's decided we need to reteach recall. I suspect a neighbor dog is wrapping up a heat. All the neighbor dogs have gone crazy lately. Things are just starting to quiet down and Moses came for the first time without being reeled in yesterday. I do not think he feels too ripped off. Life is pretty good if you're a dog.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since last post the 7 mo old has begun barking. English is too complicated.
I also got a migraine (baby not big on sleeping through the night lately) and when I get a migraine I tend to make impulsive decisions so I went to premier one, got it cleared with DH, and bought an electric netting fence kit and extra roll of fence for the goats. It's time to strip graze. Forget the fence guys for now. We will make a stink about it if they don't get to us this year (a big stink, that electric net fence is expensive and so was the real wire fence).

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry about the fence guys. I cannot understand people, but it seems it is common with so many now, to not do what they say and stand behind their work. No excuse in my book... but common.

Yeah, the electric netting fence is not cheap, but will give you so many options for the area and at least it will save you money in hay now....

Hate to ask, but any word on the barn situation?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
1 long nap later and migraine has mostly ended (after symptoms will last for the next few days, but whatever). I made dinner (late) and it's time to go back to bed. Before turning in I checked on Digie before her second dose of her antibiotic and she is down and normal. YAY! It looks like we may lose our Dignity.

Latest posts