rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
YES, we've had fun seeing a lot of interesting houses, decor, and photography. I remember the family of millipedes house...That, my folks, is probably a couple thousand dollars of stuff I don't care about. The real estate listings in that area have been entertaining to say the least.

The Osborne road one is the closest to my style, but not exactly, but I don't care that much. I will care about the animal setups more. I just need to keep DH happy in regards to indoors. The house is going to be more or less his and the boys' worlds. All that is assuming that I don't HATE the home or it has functionality issues.

Thanks, @Finnie Come to find out my husband gave them a month's notice. He's just switching teams within his company and to a different branch of the organization-hopefully a more stable, lower pressure one. The other guys on the team say it's very, very laid back and nice and slow paced. I'm hoping DH will get to do more of the things he personally enjoys that he hasn't felt free to or up to doing for the past almost 3 years.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't shake the feeling that for my first one I should probably get one and a trailer that is under some kind of warranty
That is why I went with new. Never having even touched a real tractor, I figured I needed to learn as things break and can be fixed under warranty rather than find out what isn't right with a used tractor.

WHO in the world needs that many shoes?????
Imelda Marcos of course! Maybe she moved to that house from the Philippines.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
As a side note, since the bald faced hornet while shoveling incident, I've been waking up early before it reaches 60 for the past week and shoveling manure until the wasps show up looking for fly breakfast, then going in. Today I finished and either tonight or tomorrow morning i will put it all back together and the goats can use their shed again.

I also exposed Little Orchard CD Hera to Rustic Wood's Black Tie affair on Saturday. Hera has had trouble conceiving for the past 3 years so (as in she's never freshened)...I guess we'll just give it a few rounds before calling in the vet. I'd like to move her bred. I VERY MUCH want her bred this year one way or another.

I also exposed Bluebird Pond Erudite to Bluebird Pond Dash's Flash. Eri has also had issues conceiving, so getting her bred is also a priority. She's already become very...well conditioned so we should get on that. Unfortunately Flash has also had issues settling does last year in his previous home so nothing may come of this. He wasn't my first choice for covering her, but my first choice appears to have rocks for brains and he decided he didn't like her and would rather attempt to skip his date and eat breakfast, try to breed the lamancha on the other side of the fence, mount the feed bucket, court my leg, and just basically avoid Eri...so the only experienced dwarf buck I have it is. Eri may not settle, but we can try. I'm going to give Dash a chance this year before letting him join the freezer bucks of next year. All of his equipment appears to be working fine and he covered Eri no problem. Next time we'll try my last choice buck for this doe, I guess.

All the other does I have currently I plan to wait on unless we get moved in quickly. I may be playing with Cidrs and pg600 and trying for fall or early winter kids if it gets too late.

Last edited:

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
The other guys on the team say it's very, very laid back and nice and slow paced. I'm hoping DH will get to do more of the things he personally enjoys that he hasn't felt free to or up to doing for the past almost 3 years.
That will be great. My son has a computer science degree and he worked for several of the Big Tech companies, and then got burnt out. He decided to leave that field. It would be nice for your husband to be able to use his talents for the things that matter to him.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
That will be great. My son has a computer science degree and he worked for several of the Big Tech companies, and then got burnt out. He decided to leave that field. It would be nice for your husband to be able to use his talents for the things that matter to him.
That is extremely common. Although programmers are extremely well paid, a lot of managers and even whole companies treat programmers like disposable cogs (and some don't even pay well while they do and treat programmers like an unfortunate
but necessary cost center). A good manager that shields team members and says "no" to almost everything but the team's focus while dividing work appropriately among members is invaluable. Personally DH has been lucky and unlucky several times. Your son has my sympathy.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
We put in a signed offer on a house Thursday and our offer was accepted on Friday. Close would be Oct 29th. The only thing that bugs me is that they haven't changed the ads from "available" or "active" to "contingent" or "under contract", so I guess if they get a higher offer they could hang us out to dry (they probably won't, right? is what my logic says). I'm getting quotes from good transporters on moving the goats. DH is getting a hold of the company relocation people for the dogs/cats/guinea pigs and our stuff. We are shooting for a November move. None of this is too soon.

DH needed to go into the doctor. He appears to be starting to pay for neglecting himself as he is advancing through burnout (and moving to get out of this mess. yay.). I'll be needing to get him through all that. I'm trying to talk him into taking a week or two off to just sleep and try to feel more like him self, specifically time out of time he's committed to spending at this job both to minimize harm and be sooner. Not sure I'll succeed there, but I'm pretty sure if he could just rest all the difficult things will get easier and we have plenty of those coming.

Last week I noticed I wasn't reacting to wheat as I previously had...so I went and got me some fried chicken and biscuits of course. It's pretty much okay to eat for me now. That's the difference between a sensitivity and an allergy, I suppose. Same thing happens to my grandfather. His body picks something to decide it's trying to kill him, and he reacts (soy, barley, milk, whatever). Then a few years later it goes away. I'll take it though. Hopefully it won't be back. I wonder if my "allergy" to tomato plants will decrease as well. I'd like that.

Meanwhile, Danger Dan has recently declared that he is not stubborn. He is "patient"...Which makes me feel like I'm raising junior Disney villains. Aw well.

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats on the house! When we were hunting, I often would call to ask to look at a house, only to be told it was already contingent. One in particular stayed available for weeks, despite being told it was contingent, and then just went off the market. So i think some realtors just don't update properly. I think you should have a contract confirming you are buying? (we had to put down a grand and sign a contract when we put our offer in, months before close) Good luck on the move! We're doing the same thing, only our close date is indeterminate so its a weird waiting game atm.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the house! When we were hunting, I often would call to ask to look at a house, only to be told it was already contingent. One in particular stayed available for weeks, despite being told it was contingent, and then just went off the market. So i think some realtors just don't update properly. I think you should have a contract confirming you are buying? (we had to put down a grand and sign a contract when we put our offer in, months before close) Good luck on the move! We're doing the same thing, only our close date is indeterminate so its a weird waiting game atm.
Aw, that would be the worst. I hope that ends for you soon and you get your close (and move in date!)

I hope lazy updating is our problem. Living where we are currently has made me a little gun shy on things like this. Our contract says they accepted the offer but contracts can be broken and I think the seller, if they had another offer lined up, would have the fewest and lightest consequences.

Latest posts