rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still not totally better, but the herd's CVI went great. :celebrate We are ready to go on the beast front.
Making broth today out if beef bones in the pressure cooker the help keep me going while recovering. I started last night. I just have to keep cooking those bones until they go to almost a powder.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I got the opportunity to buy a new used compact buck pen. It's small and cold...very cold. There are a lot of nubian bucks in it that predate me, a pair of lamancha bucks, and a nigerian buck. My mom and I will be experimenting with AI this year, I think and I figured we'd better get started. The goat transporter says he can transport it in his rig to TN, and there was a way to ship it here, so up it comes so it can go back down.

I discovered in the walk through that the entire back pasture of the new place is fenced with old field fence, two strands of barbed wire on the bottom, one at the top and t posts. I think 5-6 strands of electric should shore it up so I can use the pasture and not have goats crushing it down rather than me stretching a whole new fence myself. Now I'm excited.

Double exciting are my hay plans.

Also, we can do milk herd shares this year if I can draw up a good enough contract.