rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope so, are fireworks legal there?
:lol: I wish I were home. I'd take pics. Every major street corner has a fireworks stand. If they weren't legal I think the mid south would rise again. People are already setting them off.

As for us, unless we get a big drenching, not even sparklers.

If the fire departments don't manage to squelch all the fires and a large wildfire starts, those big tents and trailers...will be very interesting. 🤔

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I fear for the fires that will happen if any of those fireworks are the type that are launched, too much chance for a misfire and the explosion happening in dry areas.
Yes, personally I think the town I'm in and the neighboring ones should "reschedule" July 4th until after the next drenching.

Seriously, all the grass that isn't Johnson grass is crispy and dry and the wheat stubble (and our house is made of logs...)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Main problem with wildfires is when the wind blows strong. The fire department can't control the fire in the wind gusts. Also, wildfires actually make their own wind - like the little candle driven Christmas carousels. The excessive heat from the fires causes updrafts. Fire here in Southern CA is so common you would think we would be used to it, but for over 30 years I have kept a pair of binoculars ready to hand to insect any sign or scent of smoke. I have been known to run outside with my binoculars when the neighbors have a BBQ! LOL

Even with our sheep keeping everything grazed to the ground fire scares me more than earthquakes.

Latest posts