rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
And while I'm still thinking about this journal here is a pic for tax. The brown is fescue, green is cultivated crabgrass (with weeds). The Johnsongrass is down the hill and a bit wrapped around the treeline that does a diagonal of the pasture surrounding the drainage creek and spring down there. Lawn is crabgrass/fescue mix.
PXL_20220713_222755278.jpg

Here's Summer on the day they brought a digger in to put in a waterline and drive for development next door :( she wants me to make the noise stop. That is how they look at you when they want something. Right in the eyes.

PXL_20220712_144236361.jpg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
PXL_20220712_133251149.jpg

Giant rr crabgrass going to seed with it's wild cousin beneath.

PXL_20220711_182305833.jpg

Lamanchas get jealous if you do something and they can't play too. Here's new doe, Shay/Dot (jury is out on the matter), trying on my ear protection so she can build a pen for her brother too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A little dirt with dinner? Either that or die!

With the ferocious heat we’ve been having, cows wade out in the ponds to cool off. Or maybe they are doing their own test wash?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahhh...cheese making! I'm there but waiting on cultures to arrive so I can expand choices. 👍. Looking at 7 gal now, hope they deliver before weekend! 🙄😳😲

I'm trying cheddar this year. Have a wine cooler frig that I'm hoping will work as a cave.🤣. Of course, the wax shipped first...🤷...at least it's here! Have you tried cheddar? Mozz will be another. I'm pretty done with ricotta I usually stock. Fun work.

With your new milking equipment you prob have a large stainless tank...? Is that an issue to handle and transfer milk to other containers? Those can get heavy. I have one that's 3.5 gal. Still haven't used that, just smaller 1/2 gal & gal. Still deciding it's use.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH sided with Farmer Jan and we bought a shed that someone had passed on and had it delivered today. Their smallest shed was not very small...so I guess we may have to work up to lots of chickens? Or maybe a row of cages for brooding chicks?
After I finish the buck pen, the pig accommodations are next, and the chickens set up will follow including fencing the goats out of the fenced in area. So fall maybe.
shed.jpg

I plan to enclose and bisect the garden area with an alley to the door, put chicken doors on either side of the coop (and ventilation and a tad more roof strapping), build auto waterers and shade structures...all that is subject to change though.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahhh...cheese making! I'm there but waiting on cultures to arrive so I can expand choices. 👍. Looking at 7 gal now, hope they deliver before weekend! 🙄😳😲

I'm trying cheddar this year. Have a wine cooler frig that I'm hoping will work as a cave.🤣. Of course, the wax shipped first...🤷...at least it's here! Have you tried cheddar? Mozz will be another. I'm pretty done with ricotta I usually stock. Fun work.

With your new milking equipment you prob have a large stainless tank...? Is that an issue to handle and transfer milk to other containers? Those can get heavy. I have one that's 3.5 gal. Still haven't used that, just smaller 1/2 gal & gal. Still deciding it's use.
Ooo, you're out of culture? I was out of suplies too earlier doing the same thing except for me it was rennet. The offending milk got turned into too much farmers cheese.
I also have a 3.5 gallon milker bucket with a handle on the bottom too and I use inline filters so the milk goes from the milker straight into jars-my "bulk tanks". And it does get heavy, although not hay bale heavy. It's not too bad

I will need to work on a better solution before next freshening when we have more than an older dwarf goat and 2 FF in milk with two does who refused to stay dry. We're pretty far from full production mode. I'm dreading upgrading to a bigger 6 gallon bucket for the heaviness issue (or a 5 gallon milk tote to dump into?).

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
😁🤗. Thanks! Cultures arrived today! :celebrate and rennet. So will make some kind of cheese(s) this weekend!! It will be my first venture into some of them. Cheese press has been waiting almost 3 yrs now!

I'm working 2 FF and 2 olders...way more milk than I need. Do sell some to a couple soapers. And I have so many 1/2 gal jars!! 😁 My tank has some handles on the side. But balance can be an issue with dumping into another vessel for anyone, milk is heavy, sloshing and all. We need a food grade pump!!

Like you, several more girls I'm not milking this year. We're addicted. :lol: