rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Manzinita Farm VD Piper
He's not a big buck, but he thinks he's big enough. Here he is in his pre-rut glory. Rut is definitely coming. He's been a lot better behaved with the juniors and dwarves since getting the bigger pen.

Piper 0727 22 1.jpg

Piper072722 2.jpg

Piper 072722 3.jpg

Piper 0727224.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We asked city hall if our neighbors could rezone us before we moved in. They acted like they'd never heard that one before and that we were crazy...so I don't think they can.
The neighbors can't but the city can. There a millions of acres of houses on what used to be agricultural land. Granted it doesn't have to be imminent. The farm we lived at when I was born 66 years ago was in a totally ag area. It was owned by my grandfather whose farm was down the road and bordering the parallel road. Across from his house was a dairy. Now it is all cheek by jowl housing and there is a freeway 1/3 mile from where the house was. There is still some ag in the area. That happened about 50 years ago when I was in high school. We moved from the farm to the city when I wa 2 and a half. Dad didn't really want to be a full time long term farmer like his father.

This, as best I remember, is approximately the "used to be my grandfather's 2 farms", our house was upper left, his lower right.
Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 11.55.19 AM.png

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may very well be able to be grandfathered in as ag as long as you ALWAYS have ag animals on the place. They cannot force you to change the designation without something like eminent domain taking the land. You could fight it to the end and a good lawyer would be able to keep it in ag designation. Now, that said... if there are developments all around, it would make being ag very difficult as far as if you were a farmer that had to be taking equipment from one area to another on a roadway.... it might make having the animals and noise and smell guidelines a big issue....
A neighbor had land in ag when it was originally part of a farm and was sold in parcels. He then went to every rezoning meeting to make sure they could not push through going into a residential zoning. He actually got a "waiver" or something and then they grandfathered it because it never got changed... they have to keep farm animals on the land there and as long as there are, it will not lose the grandfathered status. I don't know all the details... and every state is different... but Tenn is a pretty conservative "red state" and they are not anti-ag. Still, putting in a development next door is concerning. Put a row of screening trees along that fence line so that you do not have to look at the development, and they CANNOT look at what you are doing... a little insurance against nosy neighbors too.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dh reminded me that he called the woman in charge of rezoning before we moved in and asked if the town or neighbors or other people could rezone us and THAT was what she thought was crazy and the answer is no. Only we can rezone us (they may also be able to rezone when property is sold based on what I was seeing while house hunting, but I'm not sure and I think sellers may just be doing that to try to attract developers to pay them millions instead of hundreds of thousands). Our property is approved to be rezoned if we wish, but obviously as long as we remain this is a(small) agriculture property.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may want to make sure you have no trespassing signs up, and maybe ask your insurance provider regarding situations where a trespasser is injured or causes injury or damage while trespassing. City people can be stupid and entitled and you want yourself protected in case a situation arises.

I agree with the tree screen too.

Latest posts