rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baby Shaun is showing a bit of a technical inclination lately and everything is getting taken apart and all bottles and containers are being opened and left everywhere like he's got itchy hands and just can't help himself, so I've been a bit busy. But before I go put the jetted back together (yes, we have one, no, we don't use it much, thank goodness) I think I'd better update here.

Cidrs came out today. 1.5 ml of pg600 went in (less than a full dose because lamanchas can be sensitive). A 4-5 month old yearling lamancha doeling is in heat declaring her undying love for all the bucks at once, making things lively. Let's see if we can get all our does bred and kidding mid to late January next year. Things are gonna get funky today. I'm looking forward to getting as much of it out of their systems at once this year. I changed my mind and cidr'ed a doe I was going to just milk through that last freshened 2021. I think I'd like to have her in ful milk with a more even udder and keep her in milk another 2 years. So in 10 days we will have another to breed. I have a little under 12 hours to decide if I will breed or milk this year's FF through to let them grow themselves while milking rather than growing kids. That would be Iris the mini saanen who I could only breed to my dwarf buck Oberon for a repeat of last year and 33% saanen kids-a little small- and Elsa, Summer the lamancha's daughter. I think Elsa could use it. She was the FF that had a 10-12 lbs single buckling and I'd like to not do that again so maybe she could grow for me and have normal sized twins next round? . Iris could go either way, but again, no good buck for her here.

Apparently there are fewer than 300 registered mini saanens out there and I own 2 of them so I was asked if I wanted to help with some mdga mini saanen stuff. I feel a little under qualified. I guess I'd better get qualified. I have had a goal to bring in a saanen and give her nice dwarf buck breedings and get some nice mini saanens on the ground. Now I guess I have even more of a reason? Mini saanens are many times better than ND in just about every dairy way and about the same size as a large ND but with long legs. There really should be more of them and fewer non-dairy dwarf goats.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The cidr party is rolling along.
Someone on our church fb page had a young Anatolian puppy dumped in their yard today and they are trying to place for free. Anyone want half a a cup of trouble and a whole lot of who knows what?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a shame to dump a puppy, and an Anatolian at that! That is a breed that you really want to know any problems in the parents before committing to. A dumped puppy is also usually a crossbreed which makes it even harder to figure out what it will do.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
City people like to dump litters of unwanted puppies or dogs in the country because they see farmers having several dogs. They think those tender-hearted farmers will take in their nuisance dogs. What they don't realize is that coyotes will take most of the young dogs while older dogs that are roaming will get shot.

People with no heart and less brains who abandon their pets: Just take your dogs and cats that you don't want any more to a rescue agency or have them humanely put down. Save them from suffering starvation, being a meal, or bullet wounds! :somad

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Around here nobody neuters their LGS's. And then they wander. And nobody seems to connect the dots or maybe care. Also they keep males and females together in the same pasture and they make copious puppies so they can list them on CL for $200 each and then they don't sell so they dump them. He could be a cross. I'm just glad he's not my problem. When Riker started testing the fence trying to get to the house dogs I got him neutered and it stopped.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you don’t have QUALITY dogs, spay and neuter. Even if you do, if you aren’t going to place the puppies in good homes, do t breed them.

In the pasture next to sons house are horses. An uncut long yearling is breeding the mares. There is a black and white stud behind their house, I guess they fancy themselves breeders, I only see idiots. There is what looks to be a 2 year old filly still sucking momma. They are skinny all winter, only gaining weight when the grass comes in.

Irresponsible breeding isn’t only dogs.
What a shame.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi,
Popping in.
Remember how I had a doeling with an abscess between her toes this year? Well, it wasn't an abscess. It was essentially a really large blocked pore-a zit. Goats and sheep have a sebaceous gland called the interdigital sinus there that goes down each toe and has an opening in the middle. If they get a grass seed lodged in the opening, guess what happens? Yep. And yuck. Not CL. And not infectious hoof rot in a dry kid pen, as a sheep vet told me over the phone and refused to come out for this year. I did not even know that was there. Now I do.

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2314853515000311#fig1

No need to flip out. Just treat-like the one or two times it will ever happen in your lifetime.