rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also added two Nubian does with very nice pedigrees. I wanted to make sure all Nubians we're like Dan's pain in the butt, Spot the Galaxy. They are better than her. They will stay. I wish Dan would negotiate on Spot with me.

They are kind of slight and may have been freshened last year a little on the small side-one was 100 lbs, one was 120 when they arrived. I'd like to see them both over 120 if possible before I breed them again. Mom could not keep milking over the ice and cold snap while I was gone, so they will be getting a dry year, not a milk through. I'm just glad mom was able to slide into my place every day and take care of things at all.

My AI doe came into heat at about 36 days. :( Darn. Guess that pregnancy wasn't viable. Next time I'm keeping mouth shut until 60 days.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol, no, that one's probably safe. Plus, Riker might want to use that somewhere himself. He and his massive underbite want to apply to work somewhere drier and colder...never mind that it hit 73 degrees today. Poor Riker.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The cold is headed east from you direction... back to 20's and 30's at night and 40's days... tonight is supposed to drop to low 30's.... last night was 44 lowest temp. And we were lucky for the wet to stay west of here and some traveled more to the south and east... but even what came over was very sparse... sprinkles barely.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been advised by other people who own lucky*star's bucks to get my buck collected. The genetics are good enough I'll probably be using them again and again over a long, long time and people always want to buy them if you advertise apparently.
Definitely have him collected and stored. We had several Lucky Star bucks and does, as well as semen in our tank from a dead buck that was known for high milk yield and beautiful offspring. Sadly the tank failed. :hit But Lucky Star is the premium breeder no doubt about it. If we ever decided to go into dairy goats again, I would buy Lucky Star does and bucks to start off a herd.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely have him collected and stored. We had several Lucky Star bucks and does, as well as semen in our tank from a dead buck that was known for high milk yield and beautiful offspring. Sadly the tank failed. :hit But Lucky Star is the premium breeder no doubt about it. If we ever decided to go into dairy goats again, I would buy Lucky Star does and bucks to start off a herd.
I don't know if I included this info, but recently I became aware that a lot of good dairy goat breeders are using "Triple W genetics" for collections. Turns out they live 20 minutes down the road from me, and while they don't sell dairy goat semen, I can make an appointment with them and they will collect and process semen from my bucks and leave me with straws in the tank for not too much and apparently they are high quality, So as soon as I decide who I'll be collecting, I'll make an appointment for around the start of rut before they start traveling and hopefully that will be that.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
This week's forecast while I still wait for baby goats. Not too shabby.
Screenshot 2023-01-06 2.59.28 PM.png