Ragdollcatlady's Just a Little Patch of Weeds Farm journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good for you, that would have rubbed me the wrong way, too.

Me too. Clearly trying to get @ragdollcatlady to drop the price "under duress" since she would be emotionally ready to send the doeling off having already settled on the sale. And JUST before coming to pick up. Sleazy. The right choice was made.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
The kid was pretty large for her. Thankfully, I was there to help pull the fat faced little tike out. Whoopsie is half nigerian/half boer (and she is the same size as my nigerians) and the kid is 3/4 nigi and a blue eyed buckskin at that, so she blends right in!:)

I drove to grandmas this last weekend. It was a great trip. I needed the break. Work and life have been really hectic lately. Those who are a little bit on the religious side will understand when I say the spirit was with me and I am so grateful. Not a big deal, but I sold Sister. She was timid and needed more maintenance as her hooves grow fast, but I can't catch her on my own and my helpers are growing up and moving away. I reluctantly sold her and delivered her on my way to grandmas. Turns out the stop I usually make was a great place to meet. I didn't find out until later that the gentleman lives right down the road from that particular stop. And I found out that he was buying her to take the place in his herd of a beloved doe (now deceased) that looked just like her and came from the same foundation herd as most of the goats in her pedigree. He showed up exactly on time and brought the full payment. He appeared happy with her and I couldn't be more relieved. Nothing goes that smooth for me ever so I know I was being blessed. Like I said, not a real big deal, but it soothed my heart a little that someone really wants her and will hopefully appreciate her for the good animal that she is despite a few imperfections. Right now I need a little gentleness for my heart so this was a good start.

The rest of the weekend was great too. I took Pearls doe kid with me, partly to give her cocci treatment as she had diarrhea and partly to let grandma just enjoy her, and boy did she! She was a perfect little house goat for the weekend. Cousins and folks from church stopped to visit grandma and meet her grand"kid"! The trip home was fine, I brought a special delivery. A whole berry pie made just for DS3, special from grandma, as a thanks for watching the herds so I could go and visit. :drool

Pearls wether sold last week to the couple that bought Little Italys boy, so that was nice too. :thumbsup

I just got word that Rosie died. :hitShe was one of the Nigerians I had originally held back for myself, but then sold to our friends from 4H. She was supposed to show in a couple weeks at the county fair, just kidded a month or so ago. A dog (or something similar) attacked their herd yesterday and left their dairy goats, a ewe and a cow, injured and shaken up pretty bad. apparently the boers were Ok. All their animals have been moved to a different property until they figure out how the predators got in. This family has 6 kids and they are all really great little humans. Please pray for them and their animals as they try and nurse the rest off their herd through this. :fl

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad that Sister found a good home, hope he doesn't mind that she is a PITA to catch. I still have a bunch of those and it is a nuisance when you need to do maintenance on them.

Sorry about Rosie, I will be praying for the family. Having your animals attacked is so devastating...the reason I have my LGDs. Doesn't mean tragedy still can't happen but I don't have to go on high alert every time I hear a coyote or see a stray dog. Our neighbor saw a bobcat a few days ago...glad I have my dogs.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad that Sister found a good home, hope he doesn't mind that she is a PITA to catch.

I was totally up front about why I was selling her. I made sure to mention on more than one occasion that she is hard to catch, hooves grow too fast and she is smaller than I like. Her hooves weren't too bad at delivery as I was able to get hem really nicely done in march and he mentioned that she was bigger than he was expecting so that is good..... I think Bellini and Sister are just more average sized for boers than my big girls. Another customer was commenting on the larger size of my goats so I am moving in the right direction for sure.

I did keep PJ, one of her doe kids. I really think Sisters kids were better put together than Bellinis, but Bellini gives me kisses so there is that! Sister fed her trips like a champ tho, up until she left. Her buck kid weighed in at 50 something lbs at just over 12 1/2 weeks and he was the one not supplemented with bottles. Haven't weighed her girls lately, but they are nice and smooth and sooo purty!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you got some kids out her that you like then it was all worth it. I am working on only keeping friendly kids. I had plans for a lot of bottle raised kids this year and then DH got sick and life came to a screeching halt for two weeks. Heck, I was lucky to come home and figure out who kidded, bottle raising wasn't happening.

Tonight I realized that I have a doeling out there and I don't even know who her dam is. She appears to be polled which narrows the options but I don't have anything in my notes that mentions a doeling being born to a polled doe. She also appears to be a mini. Now I have to catch her and feel that head and watch who she is nursing on. Geesh.