Ragdollcatlady's Just a Little Patch of Weeds Farm journal

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh Sweet Cat Lady!!! I feel your loss! I thought of you, and how Joe drove, what . . .. 3-1/2 hours to visit with you and Mr. Alaska. I wondered if you had seen the news. There are a lot of broken hearts on BYH these days. I stop every once in a while, when I think of him, and feel a wave of pain go across my chest, as I feel tears forming in my eyes. I wasn’t hit quite as hard as others, upon hearing of his death, only minutes after it happened, as I had been in close contact with Joe and his son, and saw the signs. By the day before he died, I knew the end was near. It has still hit me hard. Joe’s passing is going to leave a big hole on BYH and in many hearts, as well. I think we all need to bolster each other up. :hugs

The reason I started the “Tribute to Latestarter” is that I wanted a place where we could talk about our good memories of him, but also so we can support each other in our time of loss. So, please don’t hesitate to head on over there, if you are feeling sad, and need some support. I know you will find it there, as we are a group of very caring people. :hugs

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. Joe actually drove over 5 hours each way.... Basically a whole day of driving just to meet face to face, grab a little lunch, get in a short visit, then back to his family and goats. That says friendship right there. You cant imagine, how much I appreciated that time. If I was home, I would have gladly split the trip time (I do travel Ok in my own truck), but we were already pretty far from home and he insisted that he didn't mind... I know he had quite a bit of physical discomfort so even though he didn't mind the hours behind the wheel, it surely wasn't a particularly comfortable trip for him. I will miss all of his support and advice. I hope I was able to be the friend he was needing when I had him in my life.

BYH surely wont be the same without his personality touching all the threads and reaching out to help direct the new kids.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just shared this on Joes Tribute thread, but here is a pic of us getting to meet and visit Joe in person. So glad we all took the time! Good food and good friends! :love
Joe AKA Latestarter.jpg

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since I am back tracking anyway, I'll share some of the stuff I wanted to.... just got a little busy and forgot! So this was Alaska, myself and his son outside the place. It was a little drizzly damp out, so no patio dining while we were there... and it was busy, steady people from the time we got there until we left. Delicious food :drool
Blacks BBQ.jpg

I think I forgot to show you all, the little project I was working on before Christmas too.

20190228_213012.jpg

This was the project for Alaskas family. The goats all have ribbon collars with hand stamped tags with everyone's names, and a little cat faced charm, since they were from me. And Alaska loves moose (and since they are almost the only animals in Alaska, that one is his)… notice the hot mess the moose made of the Christmas lights!!! Almost as bad as goats right? I had to sand out the bottom of the sled to make room for the battery pack. But all in all, I think my project turned out pretty cute!

and this was one of Alaskas gifts from me
20190228_213151.jpg

20181201_161955.jpg

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cool pics, CatLady. Your Christmas sleigh looks amazing. How ingenious to put a battery pack under the sleigh, so you could have the lights.

Your mistletoe reminded me. Here in Texas we have a TON of mistletoe in our oak trees. One day, after we started feeding Joe’s animals, I saw something in the grass with white berries. It turned out to be a piece of mistletoe, that had fallen from the big oak tree in his circle driveway.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Devonviolet Just an FYI. Mistletoe is toxic to goats. My goats have been very happy doing some cleanup for me since we lost many many trees and branches during that snow but I was reminded by a friend to watch for mistletoe. Fortunately there is none growing near me but there are areas in CA where it is very thick.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Devonviolet Just an FYI. Mistletoe is toxic to goats. My goats have been very happy doing some cleanup for me since we lost many many trees and branches during that snow but I was reminded by a friend to watch for mistletoe. Fortunately there is none growing near me but there are areas in CA where it is very thick.
That’s a good reminder, Babs. This tree, at Joe’s wasn’t near the goats. So, no problem for them.

Texas is loaded with mistletoe, which is more noticable in winter, when the leaves are off the trees. A friend, of ours, doesn’t have any in his trees, because he uses a shotgun, to blast them out of the trees, when they are small. It isn’t good to leave them in the trees, as they are a parasite, which when left to fill the branches, can eventually kill the tree.

We don’t have nearly as much mistle toe, in our trees, as some areas, and there isn’t any hanging over our goat areas. This year, we are planning to cut most of the trees, that have mistletoe down, to make way for a greenhouse and garden area. So, very soon it won’t be a problem for us anymore.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
So this was Alaska, myself and his son outside the place. It was a little drizzly damp out, so no patio dining while we were there... and it was busy, steady people from the time we got there until we left. Delicious food :drool
blacks-bbq-jpg.58784
Awww! You and @Alaskan make a cute couple, and his son is cute too. :). Funny how he is lurking in the background. :lol:

I sure wish I could have gone with Joe, to meet y’all. However, it wasn’t a good time, for me to take a whole day off, at that time.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see a definite family resemblance between Alaska and Alaska "Jr." Both good lookin' guys.