Ragdollcatlady's Just a Little Patch of Weeds Farm journal

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hear y'all about the colors vs descriptors.... They are all just champagne bubbles to me! My little Doodles is a dappled Dachshund (merle pattern) so yeah, I just try to go with whatever terms the serious breed folks desire.

Stop me if I told this one already...

So DS1 is a bit miffed at Beaux Jangles. He happened to overhear my mom and I talking about the old man eating his dinner at 5:30 on the dot every day. I was shaking my head telling my mom that he had never eaten at 5:30 before because I got off work then, so I was never home until at least 5:45, usually closer to 6. DS1 pops his head around the corner and says "wait.... what??.... then why do I feed him at 5:30????" He just managed to con my son into feeding him at that time by acting like it was his usual dinner time, licking his lips, whining a bit and just being persistent .... so for the last several months, up until the conversation with my mom, the old dog got his way. DS1 was so put out, that he now makes the poor guy wait 15 minutes or so to feed him. Felt pretty bad to be bamboozled by a dog I suppose! But you have to admit he is a really smart old guy!!! :old

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Recommendation from Plank (3 legged kitten):

This is why you should always make sure your LGD likes to nap on the couch during the hottest part of the day.... cause they make the comfiest cushions for a nap!

cosleeping.jpg

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good news....

The ex messaged DS1 the other day saying that he can finally have a cat!!! The apartment that they rent together specifically forbids cats and dogs......

DS1 got here last winter, just a few weeks after I rescued all 3 kittens and he has an extremely strong connection with Plank. Within a week or 2, I had started to say that Plank was his and he needed to take him home when he left. After about 3 months, he kinda started thinking that just maaayyyybeeee he might look for another apartment when he got back 'home' since his current one didnt allow cats...... He has been here 6 months and is getting more and more attached.... Now don't go asking my opinion.... but I would be a millionaire if anyone wants to take my bet that the ex specifically figured out a way for him to have the cat as a "bribe" to try ensure that he goes back. While not an animal lover himself, he may have a little bit of a clue that some of us actually need companions like cats.

DS1 has had 2 other cats that were his, one he rescued when he was about 8 years old, Hobbes... She was a little bit of a meanie sometimes. Maybe it was just that her tiger side actually showed through on occasion but he always just affectionately responded to her with "awe... Hobbsie Beans.... it all ok... just calm down...".

Cats help fight depression and loneliness.... especially when you live (almost) alone. Of course, I would gladly give him any of my cats that his heart desires.... That said, Plank just might be most inclined to be the best wingman on dating sites or out in public, you know, due to the whole, only has 3 legs and therefore has the whole "story" to tell. Conversation starter for sure. We just need to expose him to a little more noise and commotion out in public. Something to work on! Looking for harnesses now!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, y'all will laugh for sure about this one: I was awaken the other night by Doodles kicking my cheek with her back foot. Doodles. The Dachshund. With the reaaaaally short legs. Meaning that in order for her to kick my cheek...... my nose had to be practically UP HER BUTT!!!! :barnie:barnie:barnie And how would I not smell that I might be in such a sensitive situation????? Well. That would be due to the power of Pantene! Apparently she smelled so pleasant, I was snoozing away in bliss, completely unaware of my precarious situation until the rude tap, tap, tapping on my face! :sick

On the Karma front, she will now ask for her food, for Plank to eat, even if she isnt hungry herself. And when she is hungry, she will wait politely until you add her egg. She gets just a touch offended if you forget or refuse. Not spoiled or anything, definitely not that. :old She did get to go with on a quick trip to see grandma. While we were there, she demonstrated and incredible understanding of the "Far Enough " command. I mean, blew my mind kind of understanding. And since its grandmas house, grandmas rules that the dogs are allowed on the bed, with some gentle coaxing, Karma hesitantly climbed up to sleep with me. At home, she used to jump on my bed and get grumped at to get down, dont land on my foot......now apparently its grandmas rules at home!!!! She gently climbs up and circles until she finds a good spot at the foot of my bed where she gets the full force of the fan. I guess she figured out that it was really more the jumping I got upset about. Not thrilled about a dirty farm dog on my nice basically white fancy duvet, the only really nice one I have ever owned.... but to be honest I really do kind of like having her close by.

So now, about the dang bells.... So we have a bell strap on the back door, placed it there on a whim, but its nice that Karma will use it to ask to go potty or to get us off our arses to come get her food or whatever she needs, she just knows to ring those bells and then tell us what she wants. I bought some other bells and attached them to the door frame, a gently soft sounding one my the front door and little louder one on the outside. She refused to use them. I kept telling my mom that she knows what they are for, she is just being stubborn, woofing or tapping the doorknob instead. We were outside enjoying dinner and the peaceful quiet around 9 or so at night. Dogs were chilling, Scribbles the still feralish kitten was out with us, since I decided she could earn her keep out there if she wouldnt let me pet her inside. Doodles was getting underfoot so mom put her inside for a bit. Of course she whined a little, decidedly offended that we put her in but let the others stay out. So after a few minutes, Karma rang the outside bell, loud and clear. Mom opened the door, Karma walked in, collected Doodles and then rang the indoor bell to come out!!! She very clearly knows what we want with the bells and just decided that she would concede just to get us to do what she wanted. (My mom is more stubborn than Karma though, so she didnt actually let Doodles out) But we all recognized Karmas thought process. Still mind blown. Just Wow.

Today, she rang the bellstrap on the back door to go out potty, when she came back in DS1 shut the door behind her. She turned around, rang the bellstrap hard and then walked through the kitchen. We looked at each other and I said that I bet she was asking to go out front.... yep. She went straight to the front door.

A little bit worried that she is only going to get better at teaching me what she wants and how she wants it done. She is doing pretty good so far. Does anyone elses dog want Karma to train their human too??? Can we make some money and turn this into a business???? I'll run it by Karma and get back to you.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tonight Karma already had an egg with her supper around 6. So a few hours later when I handed her her dinner bowl, I figured she could do without. I was wrong apparently. I got the bell strap rung at me and when I got to the kitchen she was sitting in front of her bowl with the most disappointed and exasperated look!!!!!! Has she not trained me well enough yet???? Dont I know to add an egg or at least something tasty to her dish EVERY time????? I swear she was shaking her head at me in disbelief. Oye!

Latest posts