Ragdollcatlady's Just a Little Patch of Weeds Farm journal

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:love I LOVE them!!! They're soooo pretty! I was just thinking about getting ducks again but man, your geese are awesome!

:lol: This is how it is around here!!
I have to admit that even for a lifelong cat lover...goats are quickly becoming a favorite animal around here......

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your geese are pretty. I made a big mistake... last year I sold our breeding pair of Toulouse.... I still have my Brown Chinese but my Toulouse were beautiful, and she was an awesome sitter/brooder. Now my DD#2 wants to get another breeding pair. How do you like the Sebastapol?

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Those sebastopol are BEAUTIFUL :love. I'd love to get some...they're EXPENSIVE! (Southern...good return on investment?)
And you're photos are beautiful....I didn't see any weeds!
I can't believe people "raise" Canada geese. Those things are rats around here! Tons of them...everywhere! I'm greatful they haven't discovered our next door pond...YET. It's just a matter of time.
I've got three african greys...i think i have one male and two females.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just LOVE those Sebastopol geese, too. They look like they are walking around with fancy gowns on. I saw some at the county fair last year and have wanted them ever since. Do you think they would be happy living in a pond?

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the Sebastapol! They are very mellow. Almost timid, but I suspect that is because I got 3 of them as adults. The 2 babies I hatched here, Elliot and Funkasaurus, don't really care to be caught, but like to be near you and once picked up, settle right into your arms to be loved on. Elliot especially will run her bill along my neck! :love

I got into geese accidentally...a lady from church asked if we wanted Crabby Abby (not her name at the time)...I guess they took down their pasture fences since the sheep were gone, and this old girl was a leftover 4h project from 13 years ago. Without the fences, she was destroying their baby plants in the garden and pooping on the in-laws back porch. I asked if she was aggressive. I don't do aggressive animals. They said no, but she isn't tame. Plan B was to put her in a hole in the ground......So I said we could try it, worst case was, we would have to return to plan B. She was fine. She didn't bother anyone and kind of kept to herself. It was cute watching her enjoying herself, taking baths in the pools or water buckets. Then of course a friend heard that i had a lame goose and offered us Lucy. She was 1 1/2 and had been for sale for a christmas goose, but the guy didn't contact her in time so she was spared for the season. She had spraddle legs as a baby so she walks funky and can't spread her wings all the way.

The girls got on fine and goose eggs are a nice treat. One egg is really about the size of 4 or 5 chicken eggs. But being a huge fan of all things froufrou....I saw a pic of sebastapols and boy was I ever sold! I ordered some eggs from ebay and 4 out of 6 were developing under Abby, until my husband let his stupid dogs out of his sight and the went in the nest box and ate 3 of them! :he I did get Elliot out of the last egg, but Abby and Lucy were fighting over her and stepping on her so I brought her in to raise with the call ducks...hence the whole confused little dragon, thinking she is a call duck....

A breeder in Northern California had the lavendars and Not-So-Gandhi for sale (out of Holderreads lines) so I snatched them up ...She thought the lavs could possibly be boys too but I got lucky on that one. They do all have the wing issues, so I will be looking for a smooth breasted male or 2 once I have some more money to spend on them...They cost a very , very pretty penny! If only we didn't have so much mud for so much of the year....Even when we have beautiful green weeds in 3/4 of the yard, I still got pics of Elliot "swimming" in a mud puddle :barnie

One of the best things about geese is that the very best food you can feed them is the green grass/weeds...yeah! That is free so most of the year they cost so little to feed. The other best thing is that since we got up to 5 or more, I haven't lost any chickens to hawks! They pay for their own keep and protect others as well. And are pretty eye candy!

Oh and the Canadians were a gift just a few months ago. I love the colors on them. I would love to have the Canadian colors on a Sebbie....but I don't think the Sebbs are really close to the Canadians, they kind of shoo them away most of the time.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bridge...They would be in heaven on a pond. They are so pretty swimming...I want a real pond for them someday.

Actually I have a small, and I do mean small, black pond liner, maybe 2 feet by 3 feet if that, that I dug into the ground for the waterfowl. One day I look outside and totally panicked! I saw Sebbie legs sticking straight up in the air! I was sure he was stuck and ran out side.....he was fine, just doing some crazy goose underwater ballet...I am just such an uncultured oaf that I didn't see the beauty of that display... :th

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You'll see them for sale around here on CL. Bridge...Tim should've seen the adds! They are BEAUTIFUL and would LOVE LOVE LOVE your pond! What a view that would be! Then I could 'borrow' a couple of your babies....

That's pretty cool how you ended up with them. Geese are different from ducks. I've got both and they're intersting to watch. I get so mad at them when i fill up their water "pond" bucket...it's been frozen solid...so I have to drag water down the hill in buckets...3 gallons at a time. Then those stinkers JUMP IN and splash half of it out all over the frozen ground! :barnie

I'm sure if I had a couple of those sebbies....and maybe a few tufted romans...I'd be a lot happier about it! You know...you could sell the eggs...and pay for that smooth-breasted male! I'm sure there are a few people who would LOVE some hatching eggs!

I really need to get an incubator. DH was supposed to make me one for my bday last year...I think I know why he didn't....

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am hoping to sell eggs this year. I am going to put these first eggs in the incubator and see if they are fertile. I also have to separate out the old girls and the Canadians....That makes me sad, but that is what I was working on today.

Here are a few cat pics for the cats I was talking about earlier...Now I remember why I can't find any pics of my Ragdolls...They hate their pics taken and refuse to sit still or look my way when I have the camera!

Kisses in the Raine
4649_dsc04147.jpg

Moscato Bianca
4649_dsc04162.jpg

Tantara
4649_dsc02840.jpg

Harley Kisses
4649_dsc04178.jpg

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They're all beautiful! (Or handsome...if that applies!) Harley Kisses looks like my Nubby Princess (manx). They're all so lovey looking! I'd post photos of my putties...but people would think I was a hoarder!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today , I still feel like I "live in a pineapple under the sea....!!!" Oh wait ...no....that's spongebob!....Sorry! I still can't hear much...I do feel like I am under the sea though. Everything is muted and there is a white noise kind of ocean type sound in my ears. Except when I eat. Then it sounds like something is chewing on my brain, up close and personal. Weirdest thing I think I have ever felt/heard!.... and I feel so inferior. At the store a sales guy came up to me and I think he thought I was trying to act dumb because I had no idea what he was saying or why he was talking to me (until he walked away, then I figured it out) and I kept saying "what? I can't hear you???" both he and I were pretty confused! I guess I got used to being in my own mostly quiet little world over the last few days.

My Mom and dad were here on Sunday night....I love my Mama Mia! :love And of course my dad too! :p They were just stopping in for the night on their way to Hearst Castle to celebrate their anniversary, so it was a short visit. I don't get to see them often, so that was a treat.

Since mom and dad were here, I didn't go to DH's friends house with him and the kids like we had planned, but I made her a "homemade" (her definition, since it was really from a box) German chocolate cake for her birthday and sent it with the family. To me homemade means you start with flour, or whole wheat, sugar, salt, etc......but she told me that was too much work, she just likes the boxed cakes! Works for me! Easy!

DH was super nice and helped my put in some posts and start on a short fence for the corner of the front yard. Technically he owed it to me but who's counting? Last summer DD and I rescued tons of plants from a friends house (she was moving and the people buying her house were going to bulldoze and concrete over all the flowers, so we dug out a truck and trailer full of plants and "rescued them") We planted them all lovingly outside the living room and they were all doing great. I came home one day and DH's stupid dog had dug out every last hollyhock and was laying in the giant ditch he had just dug out!!! :he He also peed on and killed all my asparagus and the purple daisy! :he Then he dug a big hole in the flowerbed in front of the porch and killed about 4 more plants! :he I was so upset that all our hours of work were ruined and I asked DH to make it up to me by helping fence off the corner. So it is about half way done. It is a real junk pile country picket fence. (Not like some of my friends on here who can go to their leftover pile and find find nice new 2 by 4s and stuff like that....I just got junky wood in my junk pile) But it looks cute if i do say so myself! We did buy a couple 4 by 4 posts and a few 2 by 3 s for the main part, but the pickets are all reused from other things.
4649_dsc04181.jpg