Ragdollcatlady's Just a Little Patch of Weeds Farm journal

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
As much as I like spots I do not want to add another breed to my herd. I do have a spotted mini alpine though. I have an Alpine buck that carries the A/B casein gene which means that all of his offspring will have either an A or a B. I have a doeling that has also been tested and she carries either A or B, I don't remember which. The theory is that you get more cheese from milk that is A or B, that is why I invested in the buck. I have not tested any of his offspring.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brother K and family stopped by on their way to Disneyland. The littles ran with the goats, bottle fed the baby goats and we scooped dog food into bowls, pitchers, measuring cups and buckets .... and then we used dust pans and brushes to sweep it up. In between, we played puzzles and toys, but we most enjoyed making a mess with the dog food.... and scooping it of course! :old Sister in law was blown away that dog food was such an effective time waster! :epI pointed out that it was a one minute clean up, they weren't fighting or fussing and we had tons of fun while learning that some volumes don't fit within different sized bowls n stuff.

20190922_210115(0).jpg
20190922_210122.jpg
20190922_210127.jpg

And they brought me this for my birthday
20190922_222519.jpg

My mom says that other brother n family are planning on stopping by on their way home from Disney. Can't wait!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Party at the Little Patch of Weeds.... Farm style!

One of my buyers bought Little Italy and Murgan, several months ago. They are 2 of my very favorite Nigerian Does, both born here and a part of my permanent herd (until I downsized all of the nigerians, of course). Murgan kidded twins for them, right on time, no issues (2nd freshening). Little Italy hasn't been doing as well for them. She wasn't taking to the breeding's and they had messaged me asking if I had any advice. Italy had been missed in the breeding line up the last year I bred... I had pulled her out when she was in heat, but she wasn't thrilled with Manny (he was young) so I had just put her back thinking I would try the next heat with an older buck, no biggie. Well, I forgot to keep watch for her and before I new it, it was almost kidding time, she wasn't on the calendar and I decide to just leave it for the year as I had enough on my plate. One favorite getting a free ride and a year to rest is no big deal. She has kidded 3 times here, trips, single, trips, and has done well for me. Her copper and selenium were done just before she left and with the year off, she should have been fine, no deficiencies, etc. I suggested trying with an older buck. They had her tested at 30 days and she came back pregnant, but at 60 days or so, they retested and she came up open. They went in for a vet visit and came back with a clean bill of health. I realize that it is just something that happens, sometimes, but I feel bad for the family, these are 4h kids and not kidding the first go round meant their show schedules, etc, got all messed up. I would have offered to have them bring her back to try with one of my bucks (preferably one she had been bred to before) but I don't have any more Nigerian boys. So I offered them Dunky instead. She is Italys kid from her last kidding. I was originally going to keep the sister, but this one squirreled her way into my lap too many times and I kept her instead. Her full sister went on to do fantastic in the shows for her FFA kid. Of course I hope Italy comes around soon and produces for them, they say she is a favorite there too, but they can have Dunky and hopefully she will make up for some of the time lost and the expense her mom is causing. I was thrilled these girls got to go home with some really sweet kids and I am hoping this little girl will breed easier for them than her mom is. They are supposed to pick her up next weekend.